CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 2-18-2021

Story

1st Lieutenant
Since James N hails from eastern Texas, I believe he might be cut off from his internet.

In the true spirit of picking up the fallen Guidon, I'll start this week's thread.

"What did you do during the re-created Civil War, Uncle Story?"
or
"Perspectives from a dead rabbit's point of view"

Apparently, a lot of lying around.
aawbife.jpg

Avoiding Red artillery fire
cUjdUye.jpg

Waiting for orders
xxAXlNr.jpg

Falling asleep waiting for the field grade officers to make a decision. Any decision.
X
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Immediately after Taps, probably.
TDVreH6.jpg

Last edited:
Living here in NE Texas like James, I expect its not so much power, as it is the roads. And the library closing because everyone with a lick of sense is terrified of risking the drive, (especially with all the not-so-sensible drivers in these conditions). James has been driving the same car for I can't remember how many years he said because he takes care of it. The roads have been terribly iced over and I can't see James risking it. Of course I can't talk as I won't risk it either, and walked the 8 mile round trip to town for supplies the other day.

Where I'm at we lost power a couple times off and on between Sunday and Monday, but doing pretty well since then, I hope James had similar luck.

Living here in NE Texas like James, I expect its not so much power, as it is the roads.
We still have thousands without power in Mississippi.
And our roads are actually worse due to the melting and re-freezing from the snow/ice storm.

But gosh, Texas was hit the hardest with this system.

Anyway, I'm sure James N. is OK and will appreciate @Story for picking up the fallen guidon.
Thanks @Story !

We can handle extreme heat and hurricanes down here, but we don't do well in these rare Winter storms.

:bounce:

Last edited:
Speak for yourself!:D

I used to be the same way, then a workplace accident related to heat have made this Southerner a BIG lover of the cold!
Hah !

I like cold weather myself ( we normally only have one week of such every year).

:laugh:

Bit there's a big difference between a beautiful fluffy snow . . . and an ice storm that knocks out power for a week !

:D

Sorry about your accident !

That is a long walk in those conditions. Best to you.
There are "silver linings" in these conditions.
The best people do rise to the top.

With all Interstates, state highways . . . along with local roads impassable, we had one Lady that drove an off road "4 wheeler" twenty-five miles to her job.

She works at a nursing home and was worried about her elderly patients.

https://www.wlbt.com/2021/02/17/mississippi-woman-drives-miles-wheeler-work-her-shift-nursing-home/

Sorry for getting off topic, now back to Throwback Thursday.

To close out this Throwback Thursday, the last perspectives of the dead rabbits.

These *may* be for whatever year the big Wilderness Campaign was in the mid-1990s.

This is what you Rebs looked like during your advance.
jfu82U4.jpg

fVXc06i.jpg

...and this is what the Federal line looked like.
puuIzrE.jpg

@Lubliner 's question flipped on a light bulb.

Remember the caveat of taking accounts 25 years after the war with a grain or thousand of salt?

Memories fade and dim, even without the aid of photographs.
I moved here in Oct., 1999 and can account for the way time blends in. Without major milestones, the 1990's seem like a decade indistinguishable year to year. The first 15 years here were very busy, and they all blend in together too. It takes time to pick through the events running in my memory and the date usually is uncertain, unless something such as the move is big enough to stand out. The Civil War must have been a conglomerate of memories all jumbled up together with distinct highlights separating them one to another.
Lubliner.

Since James N hails from eastern Texas, I believe he might be cut off from his internet.

In the true spirit of picking up the fallen Guidon, I'll start this week's thread.

"What did you do during the re-created Civil War, Uncle Story?"
or
"Perspectives from a dead rabbit's point of view"

Apparently, a lot of lying around.
View attachment 391427

Avoiding Red artillery fire
View attachment 391428

Waiting for orders
View attachment 391429

Falling asleep waiting for the field grade officers to make a decision. Any decision.
X
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Immediately after Taps, probably.
View attachment 391430
A good call and thanks for taking up the mantle! (Good photos too, BTW.)

Thanks for posting. His library probably closed or no electricity.
Living here in NE Texas like James, I expect its not so much power, as it is the roads. And the library closing because everyone with a lick of sense is terrified of risking the drive, (especially with all the not-so-sensible drivers in these conditions). James has been driving the same car for I can't remember how many years he said because he takes care of it. The roads have been terribly iced over and I can't see James risking it. Of course I can't talk as I won't risk it either, and walked the 8 mile round trip to town for supplies the other day.

Where I'm at we lost power a couple times off and on between Sunday and Monday, but doing pretty well since then, I hope James had similar luck.
Also correct assumptions - and everything has worked out fine so far. Only the electric, gas, and water bills have yet to rear their no doubt ugly heads.

Back