CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 2-11-2021

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Image (15).jpg

Last week Throwback Thursday revisited Old Washington Historic State Park, Arkansas, scene of many former living history events and reenactments over the years; above is from one such event held there during the park's annual Jonquil Festival in March or April, 1988. At the time I was acting as Chairman of my unit, the North Texas Reenactment Society and de facto Captain of our contingent of Union Infantry preparing for the 125th Gettysburg anniversary reenactment that July!

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia from reenactments, living history or other events or vacation or other travel they would like to share with us is welcome and encouraged to do so in this weekly thread!

Second day, Gettysburg 135th. Co D 72nd PA (with additions)
NeafMaE.jpg

Funny, when we look across the gulf of time we don't think of history being in color - the sun dappling through the forest canopy, so pretty even as imminent events overtook nature.

I remember we formed up alongside this forest road and the Confederates had to pass through to reach their starting positions. It was a huge event and their units seemed endless, but familiar with the caterpillar like stop-and-go.

There was one reb company that had a 1SG comedian, who danced a jig for us until we were peeing our pants with laughter.

You still out there, Top?

Second day, Gettysburg 135th. Co D 72nd PA (with additions)
I'm supposing that your unit was part of the Culp's Hill scenario - or was yours one of the lucky units that got to play "Little Round Top?" That was soon after the release of the movie, so we Western Federals were naturally consigned to the Purgatory of Culp's Hill while the Eastern prima donnas got to be the 20th Maine, etc. (Because of time and space considerations both scenarios occurred simultaneously.)

I'm supposing that your unit was part of the Culp's Hill scenario - or was yours one of the lucky units that got to play "Little Round Top?"

[Grunt response] I dunno. 1) There were trees, we marched where we were told to go and then burned powder. 2) It was 25 years ago. [/Grunt response]

You look good enough to shoot with a Whitworth at long range.

After three days of filming "G's and G's," I finally made it back to our family cabin on the Shenandoah (seen in the background). It was nice to use a flush toilet and get a hot shower. They guy on the left was from either NC or TN, I can't remember. I don't even recall his name either. He had a nice 53 Enfield. I had my new ArmiSport 42. My gosh have those things gone up in price, I think I paid like almost $425 for mine brand new in the box back then...It's a great shooter

img002 (7).jpg

img002 (9).jpg

Back