CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 12-3-2020

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Image (51).jpg

This week's Throwback Thursday scene could well be titled "Religion In Camp" - Above, Rev. Michael Hubbard presides at Mass before his makeshift altar made up from stacked ammunition boxes, attended by the late David Dunnett at his left and Yours Truly kneeling at right. The location, some now-forgotten campsite sometime in the mid-1980's.

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia from reenactments or living history events or vacation or other travel they would like to share with us is welcome and encouraged to do so in this weekly thread!

Williams Gun.jpg

At Carnton Plantation in Franklin, Tennessee, November, 2012 with the breech-loading Williams Gun To the best of my knowledge, this is the only Williams gun in the Southeastern United States. There are others in Arizona and we reenacted together as the First Texas Light Artillery. It was a Confederate Weapon and only one fell into Union hands during the war. The Federals had it, but had no idea what to do with it. Four were captured and sent to West Point at Wars end. This reproduction, made from diagrams found in a Kentucky museum was constructed by the High School students who were enrolled in the owners Industrial Arts class.
We can easily fire 6 rounds per minute. Yours truly is on the left in the loaders position.
t was designed by Captain D. R. Williams of Covington, Kentucky. Approximately 40 were made. The required a great deal of maintenance and a mechanic was required to accompany each battery. This gun was used primarily as an anti-cavalry weapon to devastating affect.

Our member @DixieRifles has made quite a study of the Williams Gun and its probable use, including a 1/6 scale replica he shared with us at our Oct., 2019 CWT Gathering at Vicksburg, Miss. - here's a link to his model:

Miniatures - Share Your Non-Civil War Miniatures Here! | The Civil War in Games & Miniatures | Page 9 (civilwartalk.com)
His model is spot on. Thanks for sharing it with us. I can tell you the Williams gun gets a great deal of attention at re-enactments. I have worked several pieces of artillery but the Williams gun is just awesome to shoot.

His model is spot on. Thanks for sharing it with us. I can tell you the Williams gun gets a great deal of attention at re-enactments. I have worked several pieces of artillery but the Williams gun is just awesome to shoot.
Who owns that Williams Gun in your photo---first name and last initial only? I think I know him. I had several emails with him about the gun and how it worked. Then the emails conversation stopped. I was worried he may not be with us anymore.
He confessed he made his Williams Gun as a 2-lb gun---he wanted a bigger cannon to impress the crowds. When I say "he made" it, I understood he literally made it. For some reason, he mounted the front hooded sight about a Foot above the barrel and also the rear sight as well. He also made some handy loading implements.

I searched my email but that his emails have been moved (& lost ) in my archives.

Here is a photo he sent me several years ago. Looks like the same gun with the exact same trail and pintle mount.
Wm Gun.JPG

Who owns that Williams Gun in your photo---first name and last initial only? I think I know him. I had several emails with him about the gun and how it worked. Then the emails conversation stopped. I was worried he may not be with us anymore.
He confessed he made his Williams Gun as a 2-lb gun---he wanted a bigger cannon to impress the crowds. When I say "he made" it, I understood he literally made it. For some reason, he mounted the front hooded sight about a Foot above the barrel and also the rear sight as well. He also made some handy loading implements.

I searched my email but that his emails have been moved (& lost ) in my archives.

Here is a photo he sent me several years ago. Looks like the same gun with the exact same trail and pintle mount.
View attachment 383272
B. Heard is the owner of the gun. Schoolfields Battery. His grandson is standing center, directly behind the breech.

B. Heard is the owner of the gun. Schoolfields Battery.
Ah!! That is him. I kept trying to make it "Hamilton"; I was getting close. Now I can successfully search my email.

Schoolfield Battery was another unit that operated with four(4) Williams Guns. They fought in the battle of Blue Springs the day before Buckner Battery fought the battle of Collierville---or vice versa.

Ah!! That is him. I kept trying to make it "Hamilton"; I was getting close. Now I can successfully search my email.

Schoolfield Battery was another unit that operated with four(4) Williams Guns. They fought in the battle of Blue Springs the day before Buckner Battery fought the battle of Collierville---or vice versa.
Yes. We are one and the same (re-enacted of course)

Back