CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 12-24-2020

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Image (37)125crop.jpg

One of the most-looked-forward-to events of the Holiday Season for members of the North Texas Reenactment Society was always the Christmas Candlelight festivities at Dallas' landmark Old City Park. This week Throwback Thursday revisits one such occasion from ca. 1990, in which we would invariably set up a small period encampment, usually Confederate but often Union as well, drill, and stroll around the grounds among the historic buildings lending appropriate "color". Above grouped around the original 3" ordnance rifle from left to right: Michael Hubbard, gun owner and long-time reenactor the late John Hooper, Charles Christy, Ed Owens, Yours Truly cradling my U.S. M.1840 artillery saber, and Jason Fraser with the sponge/ramrod; the late First Sgt. Glen Hargis of the infantry is at far right in the background.

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia from reenactments, living history, or other events or vacation or other travel they would like to share with us is welcome and encouraged to do so in this weekly thread!

The other night at my SCV Camp's annual Christmas Party, when discussing artillery batteries that may be available for a film shoot here in East Texas, my old friend Jimmy Moore, who was overall artillery commander at various reenactments, (mainly Pleasant Hill) till he retired, had to ask, "What about that battery that used to be in Dallas? They even still around? I ain't seen them in years, they had an original 3 in. Rifle."

(Its been years since he reenacted.)

Back