CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 12-17-2020

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Cotillion.jpg

This week's Throwback Thursday returns to ca. 1990 and the annual Christmas Cotillion of the North Texas Reenactment Society. I'm pretty sure the setting for this photo is the grand staircase of Fort Worth's Thistle Hill, a late Victorian mansion near downtown built by a local cattle baron. As explained previously, our group began as a Confederate artillery unit and gradually morphed into a Union artillery unit before coming to rest about this time as a Union infantry company - hence the many different impressions! For some reason Yours Truly is missing from the group photo, but included are, bottom row, left-to-right: Sgt. Jim Lackey of Wichita Falls, Lt. Bruce Winders of Arlington, First Sgt. Lewis Iselin of Wichita Falls, Corp. Alan Huffines, Maj. Michael Hubbard of Dallas, and Lt. Jim Marrs of FW; others I recognize in rows behind include Corp. John Gattis, Capt. Glen Smith and his son Colin, Drummer William Iselin, and Glen Hargis.

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia from reenactments, living history or other events or vacation or other travel they would like to share with us is welcome and encouraged to post them in this weekly thread!

Last edited:
View attachment 384785

This week's Throwback Thursday returns to ca. 1990 and the annual Christmas Cotillion of the North Texas Reenactment Society. I'm pretty sure the setting for this photo is the grand staircase of Fort Worth's Thistle Hill, a late Victorian mansion near downtown built by a local cattle baron. As explained previously, our group began as a Confederate artillery unit and gradually morphed into a Union artillery unit before coming to rest about this time as a Union infantry company - hence the many different impressions! For some reason Yours Truly is missing from the group photo, but included are, bottom row, left-to-right: Sgt. Jim Lackey of Wichita Falls, Lt. Bruce Winders of Arlington, First Sgt. Lewis Iselin of Wichita Falls, Corp. Alan Huffines, Maj. Michael Hubbard of Dallas, and Lt. Jim Marrs of FW; others I recognize in rows behind include Corp. John Gattis, Capt. Glen Smith and his son Colin, Drummer William Iselin, and Glen Hargis.

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia from reenactments, living history or other events or vacation or other travel they would like to share with us is welcome and encouraged to post them in this weekly thread!
Nicely done!

is the guy holding the sword wearing tennis shoes.
Obviously they are orthopedics correct as to the time period
Regards
David
Incredibly enough, I believe David is closer to the truth than he may imagine. I thought that looked odd too, but the subject in question is Dr. Richard Bruce Winders, until recently Curator of the Alamo in San Antonio - yes, THE Alamo! - and a hard-core reenactor of various periods. Whatever they are, I suspect they're correct! Here's another shot of myself along with the members who had driven all the way from Wichita Falls, Jim Lackey at left and Lewis Iselin at right:

Image (15).jpg

Back before I saw the light, I was with the 2nd Delaware, with my lovely at New Market, she camped at Fort Hampton Inn:

IMG_4639 (2).JPG

Spotsylvania 2000?
IMG_4642 (2).JPG

IMG_4643 (2).JPG

With Mac Butler who played Hooker in Gods & Generals, on set, in Federal Camp after Jackson's flanking movement; I finally got wise and joined the right side:
IMG_4637 (2).JPG

Last edited:
View attachment 384785

Great photo of a Great looking group. BTW you look good enough in that yankee uniform to shoot with a Enfield :D

View attachment 385203
Portraying the Morgan County Guard in G&G with Stonewall drilling us, unfortunately the photo was somehow folded.......
@Package4 much as I really appreciate your contributions to Throwback Thursday, I think you should create a separate thread featuring all your pictures and reminiscences of G&G into a separate thread like I did for Glory and the others I've worked on - that way it would be more accessible to anyone doing a search, plus might stir up even more attention and interest.

Back