Status
Not open for further replies.

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Image (2).jpg

Not precisely Civil War, but at least the nineteenth century - this is a 1988 photo showing me in the Lady Bird Johnson Room in the 1856-built portion of the Excelsior House in Jefferson, Texas' Civil War town which I posted about a week ago; in case you missed it:

http://civilwartalk.com/threads/jefferson-album-texas-civil-war-town.119905/

Edit: Notice the marble-topped table at right with the mirror set into its base; these were then-popular items of furniture that allowed ladies to check the hems of their voluminous dresses.

Last edited:
Yea, to think about it I would as well.....so I guess if we lifted up our dress it would be a scandal for that time :smile:
Not that I speak from past experience or anything :whistling: , but my mother likely would have boarded me up in my bedroom.
Fortunately, I've noticed CW era houses did not lack decent sized windows. :sneaky:

Yea, to think about it I would as well.....so I guess if we lifted up our dress it would be a scandal for that time :smile:

If I remember correctly showing anything more than your ankle was indecent. That mirror to check the hem would be perfect for ensuring your ankles were barely peeping out. We've certainly come along way. When I first saw the mirror, it reminded me of those benches in the shoe stores to check out your new shoes :barefoot:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back