CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 10-1-2020

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Image (12).jpg

Before leaving the subject of Shiloh, scene of this past week's annual CivilWarTalk Gathering, this week Throwback Thursday recalls a visit made there in May, 1973. The photos were taken by my then-girlfriend Charla and show me at the monument in the Sunken Road/Hornet's Nest commemorating a Minnesota battery above and somewhere in the park alongside a thirty-pounder Parrott below.

Image (21).jpg

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia from reenactments, living history or other events or vacation or other travel that they would like to share with us is welcome and encouraged to do so in this (usually) weekly thread!

Great photos. Do you have any of the Sunken Road as it would have still been sunken when you took these.

Great photos. Do you have any of the Sunken Road as it would have still been sunken when you took these.
Unfortunately the only one I took was at the site of the Minnesota Battery in the center of the Hornet's Nest; the road's at far left and not sunken at all here:

Image (11).jpg

However, from around the same time in the 1970's is this postcard view from near the parking area at Duncan Field looking along it:

Image (13).jpg

Back