CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 1-7-2021

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Here our battalion officers, (been officers for 20 years or more) decide on galvanizing in one of a few ways:
1. Certain companies that always voluntarily galvanizes.
2. Ask a few other company officers to volunteer their units so the usual suspects can go Confederate once or twice a year.
3. If a unit comes along that doesn't wish to play politics at an event the battalion controls, they go Federal.
4. In recent years make the whole battalion go Federal after inviting another organization to come out. The idea being they'll come back more often so our numbers are good. (THAT can't possibly backfire can it!)
That particular issue was primarily why our unit, formerly Good's/Douglas' Texas Battery became The North Texas Reenactment Society and mainly Federal or at least mixed-impressions. At some (mostly National) events a few dissenters would serve with friendly units on the opposite side.

Rusk County Avengers

1st Lieutenant
That particular issue was primarily why our unit, formerly Good's/Douglas' Texas Battery became The North Texas Reenactment Society and mainly Federal or at least mixed-impressions. At some (mostly National) events a few dissenters would serve with friendly units on the opposite side.

From what I've seen of the big battalion around here, they make you go Federal through all sorts of excuses. Over and over, but they'll let you play Confederate at their events if you join them.

My philosophy is never be afraid to go Federal, but if its over and over, I ain't gonna join, I'm gonna walk away till someone straightens their act up.