CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 1-28-2021

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Image (10).jpg

This week Throwback Thursday returns to the Civil War where it belongs, and a visit to what I remember as the COLDEST morning I spent reenacting! Unfortunately, I now no longer remember the date of this event sometime in the mid-1980's, but it wasn't anywhere near the anniversary of the battle it represented, Helena, Arkansas, which took place July 4, 1863 during the Vicksburg Campaign on the very day the Federals occupied the city. This was instead a winter or early spring event and took place on the actual battlefield at Helena. In these photos are officers of the small Union garrison, left to right, Brooks Whitten, Yours Truly, and Bruce Winders, beside one of the 10 pounder Parrott rifles belonging to Bruce Frazer of the North Texas Reenactment Society.

Image (11).jpg

This was a very small event, well before the establishment of the park there; one of the activities I remember was an excursion to visit the grave of Confederate Hometown Hero Pat Cleburne in the local town cemetery on the bluff overlooking the Mississippi River. Below is a view of our camp atop what was one of the Federal bastions that anchored the Union position and was assaulted by attacking Confederates during the actual battle, which was a notable if small Union victory.

Image (7).jpg

Anyone else having (preferably) old civil War-related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia from reenactments, living history or other events, or vacation or other travel that they would like to share with us is welcome and encouraged to do so in these weekly threads!

Image (9).jpg

Trying to keep warm around a burning log are John Gattis, Brooks Whitten, and another whose name I have now unfortunately forgotten.

Last edited:

Rusk County Avengers

1st Lieutenant
That Parrott is better to look at than a Mountain Howitzer.

I'm pretty sure Helena has a better event going on now than then. They rebuilt Fort Curtis and have some sort of hoopla every year. I wouldn't mind getting out to it.