CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday 1-14-2021

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Image (13).jpg

This week Throwback Thursday returns to September 1, 1994 during a vacation trip through part of Ohio into Pennsylvania visiting French & Indian War sites with the ultimate destination Gettysburg. I've previously posted scenes from Gettysburg that I photographed on the trip, so thought I'd concentrate here on the Ohio part. My usual touring companion Mike @mkyzzzrdet and I stopped briefly at the birthplaces of three notable Federal generals, Grant, Sherman, and Custer; above, Mike is seen outside the Lancaster childhood home of William T. Sherman who was born here on Feb. 8, 1820. The view below is an unusual "S" bridge - so named for its serpentine construction - on the Great National Road near Zanesville which was built in the 1820's only a little after Sherman's birth. Unfortunately, by the time we visited Grant's birthplace in Point Pleasant on the Ohio River it was on the return trip and I had used up all my film (remember THAT, in the age before digital cameras?) at Gettysburg, so have NO photographs from there. For my photos of our stop at the almost-ghost town of New Rumley and the site of the house where Custer was born, please see:

Custer State Memorial, New Rumley, Ohio | The Traveler's Companion - Visit Historic Sites (civilwartalk.com)

Image (12).jpg

Anyone else having (preferably) old photographs, mementoes, or memorabilia from reenactments, living history or other events or vacation or other travel they would like to share with us is welcome and encouraged to do so in this weekly thread!

Back