CivilWarTalk Flashback Friday, 4 - 25 - 2021

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Glen & mountain howitzer crew.jpg

My old reenacting friend Ed Owens has just sent me a digital copy of one of my favorite photos showing members of the North Texas Reenactment Society in our heyday portraying Douglas' Texas battery. From the left above are the late Glen Smith who I recently profiled in a Throwback Thursday thread and who was the owner of the full-scale mountain howitzer seen here; Bruce Whitten, a member of the Confederate Guard infantry company; Corporal Bruce Winders, later the curator of the Alamo in San Antonio; the late David Dunnett of Fort Worth; Yours Truly; Ed Owens; Charles Christy partly obscured in the background; and at the right acting as chief-of-the-piece, Sergeant Michael Hubbard. (Since this week I FORGOT to post a Throwback Thursday thread I thought this would be a likely substitute!)

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia from reenactments, living history or other events, or vacation or other travel they would like to share with us is welcome and encouraged to do so in this weekly thread!

Last edited:

Wolfman0125

Cadet
Civil War veteran, Jacob Miller, survived a headshot by a confederate, sustained during The Battle of Chickamauga in September of 1863.

17 years later, a buck shot dropped out of the wound and 31 years after that, two pieces of lead fell out..

he passed on January 13, 1917 at the age of 88... he lived 54 years with a hole in his forehead..

what a bad ***!!

3E744672-32DC-4B08-B9BE-663588695538.jpeg