Official Muster CivilWarTalk Antietam Muster 2021 (Oct 8-10)

NH Civil War Gal

Captain
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host

CivilWarTalk Antietam Muster 2021

Weekend of October 8th, 9th, and 10th - 2021

If you're interested in going to this event, please RSVP in the module at the top of the thread! Get your RSVP in before September 17th!

itinerary
Thursday, October 7th​: (Early Arrivals Optional)

3:00 pm – Check in Time​

Friday, October 8th​: (optional)

Morning Side Trip​

Friday, October 8th​ (Regular Arrivals)
12:00 pmOfficial Kickoff: CWT Fall Muster – Gather in War Room!
12:30 pm – Head to Harpers Ferry National Park.​
Here are some audio presentations about Harpers Ferry​
Put on your most comfortable walking shoes! Harpers Ferry is very up and downhill.​
3:30 or 4:00 pm – A member presentation?​
6:30 pm – Dinner – TBA​

Saturday, October 9, 2021

7:00 am – Breakfast in our CWT War Room. Antietam Movie​
8:00 am – Leave hotel.​
It will take 45 minutes to get from Charles Town to Antietam.
We get to Antietam for 8:45, use the porta potties, pay park fees in the trailer they will have set up, look around a bit in the book store and Stephen will join us for 9:30.​
9:30 am – Antietam NP All Day. We will be doing a number of major tour stops all day.​
Stephen Recker, THE Antietam tour guide is booked for 3 hours and will be leading us. I don’t have the full itinerary from him yet.​

12:30 – Box Lunch from Captain Benders.
We will also plan on going over to the Pry House. This was closed for all of 2020. I’m currently ascertaining if it is going to be open by Autumn. This was McClellan’s Headquarters, Lincoln visited it, and it was a field hospital. Very important place. On our way back to Sharpsburg is the National Cemetery.​
I would LOVE a member presentation on the National Cemetery.​
Nutters – Finish off at Nutters for ice cream before we head back to Charles Town for a bit of a rest, freshen up and then the member dinner.​
As always, we want and look forward to member presentations on any of the subjects here!​
This is a big park – very pristine battlefield - and is spread out so there will be a lot of driving.​
7:00 pm – Dinner - TBD​

Sunday, October 10th

7:00 am – Gather in our CWT War Room for breakfast​
Presentation – looking for member presentations​
9:30 am – Head into Charles Town, which was named after George Washington’s younger brother. Who knew he had a brother?​
Jefferson County Courthouse still stands where the trial of John Brown was held.​
Presentation on this by anyone?​
11:00 AM – Return to hotel, say our goodbyes, checkout and go home.​

Sunday Afternoon Side Trip

host hotel: hampton inn & suites and home2 suites

Charles Town, WV
(Hampton) 304-725-2200

There are 25 double queen rooms on hold for us that weekend with some set aside for handicap accessible. The rates for people coming in early are: Wednesday and Thursday nights, $109.00 (plus tax) and Friday and Saturday nights, $139.00 (plus tax). Sunday and Monday nights go back to $109.00 (plus tax). These rates are as discounted as they get.

We also have a "War Room" set aside BUT at this current time (February - 2021), only 10 people are allowed in it, preferably masked. That may change by Fall as Covid conditions change.

Of course, while things are starting to look good and I had a long talk with the events coordinator about it, things are subject to change at a moments notice because of Covid. Currently West Virginia has the BEST vaccine rollout rate in the nation.

When making the reservations, please state that you are with the CivilWarTalk Antietam Muster code CWG. If there is any problem with that, please refer the booking clerk to Tara Orndorff, Director of Sales, and she will straighten them out at the front desk.

Tara also wanted this link to be included in this notice to CivilWarTalk Members on what the Hilton Company is doing to make the rooms clean and safe for our stay.

https://www.hilton.com/en/corporate/cleanstay/

The safety and security of our guests and team members remain our highest priority, and Home2 Suites and Hampton Inn & Suites Charles Town remain diligent in our commitment to provide a safe, hospitable environment for all who enter our doors.

Some previous discussions about this muster have been archived here:
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/civilwartalk-antietam-muster-2021-archived-discussions.184035/

Last edited:

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
This morning I made travel arrangements for my flight to Baltimore! Mike @mkyzzzrdet and I plan to meet there Oct. 1 for early trips to Harrisburg's Civil War Museum then down to Gettysburg for several days before heading on to Charles Town. We plan on arriving there by Wednesday evening so we can participate on Thursday's "side trip(s)" whatever and wherever they may be. We'll also stay Sunday night in case there's anyone who wants to go somewhere Monday morning; our return flights won't be until Tuesday so we won't be in any sort of rush.

Michael W.

First Sergeant
then down to Gettysburg for several days before heading on to Charles Town. We plan on arriving there by Wednesday evening so we can participate on Thursday's "side trip(s)" wh
Still working on our itinerary but we'll probably be in Gettysburg on Mon 4th & Tues 5th, so hopefully see you there.
I'm planning to divert to Gettysburg as well IF I get my vacation approved, but probably after. It would be cool if we could all meet up there! I have to eat at the Dobbin's House since I'll be out that way, it is a must for me whenever I'm in Gettysburg...

This morning I made travel arrangements for my flight to Baltimore! Mike @mkyzzzrdet and I plan to meet there Oct. 1 for early trips to Harrisburg's Civil War Museum then down to Gettysburg for several days before heading on to Charles Town. We plan on arriving there by Wednesday evening so we can participate on Thursday's "side trip(s)" whatever and wherever they may be. We'll also stay Sunday night in case there's anyone who wants to go somewhere Monday morning; our return flights won't be until Tuesday so we won't be in any sort of rush.
Hello,
I will be in the area in October Sunday staying Sunday night and can stay Monday night if there is something going on Monday. I plan to drive south to TN and see my kids after that and do some of the things I can't fit into my Fredericksburg/Richmond/Appomatox itinerary next week. I'm really excited to be in VA next week.

Last edited:

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
I'm planning to divert to Gettysburg as well IF I get my vacation approved, but probably after. It would be cool if we could all meet up there! I have to eat at the Dobbin's House since I'll be out that way, it is a must for me whenever I'm in Gettysburg...
I certainly hope you can make it - after all, the dreaded covid didn't keep you away from Shiloh last fall! The Dobbin House is a bit expensive for ME, but @mkyzzzrdet will no doubt want to, so I'll probably have to "force" myself to come along too. Last time we were there I made him eat in the basement tavern instead of the dining room though!

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Still working on our itinerary but we'll probably be in Gettysburg on Mon 4th & Tues 5th, so hopefully see you there.
Mike has just informed me that we'll be staying at the Battlefield B&B while we're there - it's south of town a little past the Round Tops and right beside tiny South Cavalry Battlefield where Merritt's brigade was engaged against part of Hood's Division on July 3rd. We've stayed there before and it's nice and quiet, away from downtown. The barn served as a hospital for Merritt's dozen or so casualties and the stone house below as his quarters that night:

119.JPG

Last edited:

Michael W.

First Sergeant
I certainly hope you can make it - after all, the dreaded covid didn't keep you away from Shiloh last fall! The Dobbin House is a bit expensive for ME, but @mkyzzzrdet will no doubt want to, so I'll probably have to "force" myself to come along too. Last time we were there I made him eat in the basement tavern instead of the dining room though!
Oh I always eat in the Tavern!! If I'm there for a few days I splurge and do the fine dining upstairs, but I love the ambience of the tavern. They have the best French Onion soup I've ever tasted!

Oh I always eat in the Tavern!! If I'm there for a few days I splurge and do the fine dining upstairs, but I love the ambience of the tavern. They have the best French Onion soup I've ever tasted!
I totally agree about the soup. They had a very nice mule drink too. I sat outside last year in the tent. I think no matter how many times you've been to Gburg it's worth it to return for the Dobbins House. I eliminated it from my itinerary next week because of time constraints.

mkyzzzrdet

Corporal
Actually JamesN and I DID find a couple of reasonably priced places in G'burg that had good food. One was (of all things) a Mexican place just down from the downtown square. Another was a diner-type place that I think was near the old depot. And yes- - I might be up for a dinner at the Dobbins house, but since I have at least experienced it once, it's not so much of a necessity now! I remember that the diner place near the depot had breakfasts later in the day, unlike other places we tried. We were late for breakfast that day, and I don't remember why, because James usually makes me get up at the crack of dawn when we go on trips together.

NH Civil War Gal

Captain
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Folks, I got the official booking letter and I made a couple of changes to the check-in and check-out times at the hotel and have the booking code now - CWG.

As they say - "Early check-ins and late check-outs are extremely difficult to arrange and as such we cannot guarantee their availability. Please insure your guests plan accordingly."

The cut-off date for reservations is 9/11/2021.