Official Muster CivilWarTalk Antietam Muster 2021 (Oct 8-10)

NH Civil War Gal

Captain
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host

CivilWarTalk Antietam Muster 2021

Weekend of October 8th, 9th, and 10th - 2021

If you're interested in going to this event, please RSVP in the module at the top of the thread! Get your RSVP in before September 17th!

[warning=ITINERARY]
Thursday, October 7th​: (Early Arrivals Optional)

1:00 pm – Check in Time​

Friday, October 8th​: (optional)

Morning Side Trip​

Friday, October 8th​ (Regular Arrivals)
12:00 pmOfficial Kickoff: CWT Fall Muster – Gather in War Room!
12:30 pm – Head to Harpers Ferry National Park.​
Here are some audio presentations about Harpers Ferry​
Put on your most comfortable walking shoes! Harpers Ferry is very up and downhill.​
3:30 or 4:00 pm – A member presentation?​
6:30 pm – Dinner – TBA​

Saturday, October 9, 2021

7:00 am – Breakfast in our CWT War Room. Antietam Movie​
8:00 am – Leave hotel.​
It will take 45 minutes to get from Charles Town to Antietam.
We get to Antietam for 8:45, use the porta potties, pay park fees in the trailer they will have set up, look around a bit in the book store and Stephen will join us for 9:30.​
9:30 am – Antietam NP All Day. We will be doing a number of major tour stops all day.​
Stephen Recker, THE Antietam tour guide is booked for 3 hours and will be leading us. I don’t have the full itinerary from him yet.​

12:30 – Box Lunch from Captain Benders.
We will also plan on going over to the Pry House. This was closed for all of 2020. I’m currently ascertaining if it is going to be open by Autumn. This was McClellan’s Headquarters, Lincoln visited it, and it was a field hospital. Very important place. On our way back to Sharpsburg is the National Cemetery.​
I would LOVE a member presentation on the National Cemetery.​
Nutters – Finish off at Nutters for ice cream before we head back to Charles Town for a bit of a rest, freshen up and then the member dinner.​
As always, we want and look forward to member presentations on any of the subjects here!​
This is a big park – very pristine battlefield - and is spread out so there will be a lot of driving.​
7:00 pm – Dinner - TBD​

Sunday, October 10th

7:00 am – Gather in our CWT War Room for breakfast​
Presentation – looking for member presentations​
9:30 am – Head into Charles Town, which was named after George Washington’s younger brother. Who knew he had a brother?​
Jefferson County Courthouse still stands where the trial of John Brown was held.​
Presentation on this by anyone?​
1:00 pm – Return to hotel, say our goodbyes, checkout and go home.​

Sunday Afternoon Side Trip

Fredricksburg – National Museum of Civil War Medicine​
[/warning]

[INFORMATION=Host Hotel: Hampton Inn & Suites and Home2 Suites]

Charles Town, WV
(Hampton) 304-725-2200

There are 25 double queen rooms on hold for us that weekend with some set aside for handicap accessible. The rates for people coming in early are: Wednesday and Thursday nights, $109.00 (plus tax) and Friday and Saturday nights, $139.00 (plus tax). Sunday and Monday nights go back to $109.00 (plus tax). These rates are as discounted as they get.

We also have a "War Room" set aside BUT at this current time (February - 2021), only 10 people are allowed in it, preferably masked. That may change by Fall as Covid conditions change.

Of course, while things are starting to look good and I had a long talk with the events coordinator about it, things are subject to change at a moments notice because of Covid. Currently West Virginia has the BEST vaccine rollout rate in the nation.

When making the reservations, please state that you are with the CivilWarTalk Antietam Muster. If there is any problem with that, please refer the booking clerk to Tara Orndorff, Director of Sales, and she will straighten them out at the front desk.

Tara also wanted this link to be included in this notice to CivilWarTalk Members on what the Hilton Company is doing to make the rooms clean and safe for our stay.

https://www.hilton.com/en/corporate/cleanstay/

The safety and security of our guests and team members remain our highest priority, and Home2 Suites and Hampton Inn & Suites Charles Town remain diligent in our commitment to provide a safe, hospitable environment for all who enter our doors.
[/INFORMATION]

Some previous discussions about this muster have been archived here:
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/civilwartalk-antietam-muster-2021-archived-discussions.184035/

Last edited:
Personally, if you are heading over to the Antietam area, I would do BWI. But @Drew might have a better idea.

Ok, I signed up, it sounds like alot of fun. See you then!
I have a trip planned from Gettysburg to Appomattox via Fredericksburg, Richmond and Petersburg and on to TN where my kids live next month. Now I can postpone the Antietam section because I really couldn't do it justice in the time I have. I've been to Harper's Ferry a number of years ago. A beautiful area for a Fall trip.

rebel brit

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Alrighty then, seeing as you and rebel brit plan to travel halfway around the world (LOL), it would be a shame to miss the opportunity to get the Games and Miniatures 'band' together! On faith that current rather touch and go circumstances must improve with time, I will circle Oct 9 on the calendar and plan to make a mere four-hour drive (which doesn't involve getting near DC to boot). As with the Gettysburg meeting years ago, I would likely meet the group on the battlefield for the Saturday.
Great news, it'll be good to meet up.
Maybe if @Saphroneth @Andy Cardinal, @dgfred and @Lubliner can get there we can re-enact the battle of Frederick.:cannon: :whistling:

Booner

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Alrighty then, seeing as you and rebel brit plan to travel halfway around the world (LOL), it would be a shame to miss the opportunity to get the Games and Miniatures 'band' together! On faith that current rather touch and go circumstances must improve with time, I will circle Oct 9 on the calendar and plan to make a mere four-hour drive (which doesn't involve getting near DC to boot). As with the Gettysburg meeting years ago, I would likely meet the group on the battlefield for the Saturday.
OUTSTANDING!

Look for a white RV flying a Missouri Battle Flag.
1618964203631.png

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
The blue ridge mountain parkway if you get the time
Thanks I missed it last trip. I've done it closer to TN. I'm making it part of my driving trip this time. My US Cellular doesn't work in VA anyway, so maps it is!
You two are probably already aware of this, but for those who aren't, Skyline Drive that traverses Shenandoah National Park is the northern extension of the actual Blue Ridge Parkway drive and an extremely worthwhile trip!

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/shenandoah-national-park-virginia.83215/

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/shenandoah-national-park-virginia.83215/post-1175224

1619109423366.png

You two are probably already aware of this, but for those who aren't, Skyline Drive that traverses Shenandoah National Park is the northern extension of the actual Blue Ridge Parkway drive and an extremely worthwhile trip!

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/shenandoah-national-park-virginia.83215/post-1175224

View attachment 398626
Yes, thank you, I plan to pick it up for my October trip at that spot. When I am there in June I will be going from Lynchburg/Appomattox to Knoxville. I'll have to see if I can pick up part of it for that trip. I wrote away for info/maps. The Parkway is a National Park or part of one. As I said I found my GPS does not work well in VA. It is easier to do many things without it since last time it sent me on the Interstate and I saw signs for all the things I was missing!
https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/maps.htm

redbob

Major
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020

View attachment 398626
Just don't get in any hurry, you can only go as fast as the person in front of you and during the peak times of the year (especially the Fall) that is pretty slow. Also, plan to be off before dark as a ride on these roads after dark can be a rather white knuckle experience.

bdtex

Major General
★★ Sr. Moderator
Silver Patron
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018 Vicksburg 2019
Booked our flights, flying into and out of Washington Dulles. We plan on arriving a few days before and after to take in any side trips.
Looking forward to seeing you all.
Booked my flights today. Got a good rate. Flying into BWI on Wednesday 10/6 and flying out on Monday 10/11. It's on now.

bdtex

Major General
★★ Sr. Moderator
Silver Patron
Annual Winner
Member @Rick Featherston hasn't checked in to this thread yet that I know of. He texted me today about plane reservations and what days he was planning to be there and we both decided to book our flights today. He's flying in on 10/6 and flying out on 10/13. We're going to room together at the HQ Hotel. As some of you may recall, he has a direct ancestor in the 1st TX Infantry.

bdtex

Major General
★★ Sr. Moderator
Silver Patron
Annual Winner
I am very excited about this CWT Muster. Haven't seen @rebel brit and spouse in 2 years and never been to Sharpsburg or Harpers Ferry. Is discussion about side trips frowned on in this thread? I have a Thursday all day and Sunday afternoon itinerary to plan.

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Last edited:

rebel brit

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
I am very excited about this CWT Muster. Haven't seen @rebel brit and spouse in 2 years and never been to Sharpsburg or Harpers Ferry. Is discussion about side trips frowned on in this thread? I have a Thursday all day and Sunday afternoon itinerary to plan.
Look forward to catching up, it's been a long two years.
PM sent.