Civilian sack coat or depot jacket for a Tn soldier in the AoT?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Mountain-Man

Private
I'm wanting to put together an impression for a soldier in the 28th Tn (CS) I've done a little research of my own and asked a unit close by about uniforms, they recommend a civilian sack coat Commutation or a shell/depot jacket.

Would the sack coat be authentic for the entire war, or would I need a shell jacket as well?

From my research the 28th was organized at Camp Zollicoffer in Overton County, in Sept '61 and fought at Fishing Creek/Mill Springs , Shiloh, and Port Hudson, Murfreesboro, Chickamauga, Resaca, Peach Tree Creek, Marietta, Georgia and Franklin (to name a few)

Last edited:

Malingerer

2nd Lieutenant
It's never that easy - especially with western Confederate units. To do it right you have to taylor your impression to time, place and unit. Early war uniforms (if they had any would likely vary from company to company and by late 61 'till late '62 they were on the commutation system and finally, the depot system. I highly recommend downloading a copy of Les Jensen's article on Confederate jackets on the Company of Military Historians website. Then start pouring through the CSR's. It takes mountains of research and a little luck. That said, for many western units, after '62, a civilian sack coat is a fairly reasonable choice.

Mountain-Man

Private
Where might I find quartermaster records? I've been searching Google all weekend and most of today as well as fold3 with no luck