Civil War's Strangest Personalities, Pictures & Facts

atuttle32

Corporal
I came across this by accident this morning, and it has some pretty interesting facts about some of the major players in the Civil War.

http://military.discovery.com/history/civil-war/civil-war-personalities-pictures-05.html

The first picture of Dan Sickles claims he was the first person to use temporary insanity as a defense and to win with it.

The other interesting fact I saw was of Edmund Ruffin - the man credited with firing the first shot at Fort Sumter ... he committed suicide after Lee's surrender rather than face being under the rule of the "Yankee race" again.

Anyway, a few intereting tid bits of information (including the one about Joe Hooker - the name "says it all" lol) I thought I'd share ...

I came across this by accident this morning, and it has some pretty interesting facts about some of the major players in the Civil War.

http://military.discovery.com/history/civil-war/civil-war-personalities-pictures-05.html

The first picture of Dan Sickles claims he was the first person to use temporary insanity as a defense and to win with it.

The other interesting fact I saw was of Edmund Ruffin - the man credited with firing the first shot at Fort Sumter ... he committed suicide after Lee's surrender rather than face being under the rule of the "Yankee race" again.

Anyway, a few intereting tid bits of information (including the one about Joe Hooker - the name "says it all" lol) I thought I'd share ...

There are some good photos in there, Amelia, thanks for the post. If you page through the personalities another group comes up which shows photos of blacks in various roles during the war.

Richard Ewell is a good one. For all his life he was in love with Lizinka Campbell, a cousin. She married somebody named Brown who had plantations in Tennessee, nicely off, then he died. She married Ewell then. By this time he was 46, missing a leg and so used to pining for the love of his life he couldn't seem to remember he'd gotten her - he always introduced her as Mrs. Brown!

Sickles is surely one of the strangest and I suggest reading "American Scoundrel" by Thomas Keneally and a somewhat rare " A Caspian Sea of Ink"-the Meade Sickles Controversy by Richard A. Sauers. Stonewall is the eptiome of strange.

There are some good photos in there, Amelia, thanks for the post. If you page through the personalities another group comes up which shows photos of blacks in various roles during the war.

I saw those, too, and was going to post the link to them later today in the photography forum ... there are some good pictures in that group. This one really got to me. The caption states they are escaped slave children posing with Union officers. I see the lieutenant's name on his chair, I may look him up on footnote to see if I can find out what part of the army he was with.

Expired Image Removed

John Shaw was 2d Lt, and later Capt., Co. F, 2nd Rhode Island Infantry. KIA, I believe, during the Wilderness campaign.

Regards,

jno

How did you do that LOL? I had to google a few times to come up with an answer!!! I posted a better copy of this photo and the backstory in the photography forum ...

I am sure most of us know of where the term "Hooker's" comes from. But also there is a color pigment used in watercolour known as "Hooker's Green," a color he created himself. I have read he was an avid Water colourist.

Back