Civil War Zouave spiked helmet?

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
I am looking over some information about Civil War young soldiers and came across an odd Zouave spiked helmet. Sadly I do not have a better image and this is a copy form the book. However the older boy on the right appear to be wearing a shinny metal spiked helmet.

boys 4.jpg

I know it is a poor image, but I can not help but wonder about the spiked helmet. So some questions:
1) Has anyone seen a better quality copy of this image?
2) Does this image appear to be from the Civil War era?
3) Any thoughts on the spiked helmet?
4) Does anyone have information about the Plunkett Zouaves of Adams, Massachusetts?

Still an interesting spiked helmet. Just to ease the minds of our more sensitive forum members, it is unlikely that these young soldiers with their wooden muskets ever fought in any battles.

Last edited:

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
for our "weapons" folks. What is the round thing at the end of thier wooden muskets or perhaps wooden pole arms? They kind of look like Civil War era grenades and the thought of young suicidal boys exploding a grenade on the end of a short stick is unsettling. Maybe lanterns?

War Horse

Captain
Forum Host
Member of the Year
Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017
A
I am looking over some information about Civil War young soldiers and came across an odd Zouave spiked helmet. Sadly I do not have a better image and this is a copy form the book. However the older boy on the right appear to be wearing a shinny metal spiked helmet.

View attachment 178317

I know it is a poor image, but I can not help but wonder about the spiked helmet. So some questions:
1) Has anyone seen a better quality copy of this image?
2) Does this image appear to be from the Civil War era?
3) Any thoughts on the spiked helmet?
4) Does anyone have information about the Plunkett Zouaves of Adams, Massachusetts?

Still an interesting spiked helmet. Just to ease the minds of our more sensitive forum members, it is unlikely that these young soldiers with their wooden muskets ever fought in any battles.
appears to be of possible German descent to me.

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
This appeared in the New Haven Register (Ct.) of Nov. 8, 1880:
NHZou.jpeg
The name may be entirely coincidental. The uniforms don't fit, though they may have had different ones at different periods or for different age groups. (These are "voters.")

Note that "gun torch will be carried." Sounds like a description of those in the picture.

ADDED: The New Haven Plunkett Zouaves were a Democratic "Chowder and Marching Society" that performed at parades and political rallies. I find no mention of a "boys" division.

Last edited:

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
I do have some concerns over the book saying this is an early Civil War photo. Not that many good outdoor Civil War photos were taken. I have some question about the spiked helmet being based on any Civil War era spiked helmet I have seen.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!