Civil War vets on film

Tom Hughes

First Sergeant
I love to see footage of these civil war participants. It helps put the participants of the war in a perspective that aids us in understanding the time period in our nation in which they lived.
It's always amazed me how many of these war veterans (north and south) came together in brotherhood after the war and the reunions aided in reconciliation.
In other words: A great history lesson.
Thanks for sharing this.

19thOhio

Private
That is a great video to share. I must take note of the contribution of Stark County, Ohio to the video, that being the 150 ft. one-half ton flag carried by 117 GAR veterans from the McKinley Post at 1:06:00 in the video. Stark County was the home of so many regiments including the 13th, 19th, 104th and 115th. McKinley was in the 23rd Regiment. I would expect that some of them were in that movie and parade. I wonder where that flag might be now. Brevet General Sam Beatty was sheriff of Stark County at the start of the Civil War.

And to think that some of us are old enough to have shared some time on this Earth with those vets.

19thOhio

Private
The shaking of hands across the wall and other scenes of the video reflect the comments of Col. Charles Manderson of the 19th Ohio. After the war he was a two term senator from Nebraska and was a noted speaker having done the eulogies for William Tecumseh Sherman and John A. Logan. At the dedication of the Chickamauga national Battlefield in September 1895 he remarked:

"As the victors and vanquished have recognized equal courage and even powers of endurance, there has come mutual respect. . . . And now all rancor and hate are gone. The Unionist and Secessionist, the Federal and the Rebel, the Yankee and the Johnnie,meet to rejoice in the existence of a nation, not a confederacy."

mofederal

Major
Thank you for sharing the video. It is great to see the old vets in a modern light. My grandfather while born too to fight in the war, went from a time of horses, mules and wagons to a time of car, trucks and jets. The last vets saw the beginnings of the jet age.