Tell me more! Civil War veteran's escutcheons.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Some Civil War veterans commemorated their service by purchasing escutcheons. These came in several styles and this is a monument-style escutcheon on Ebay.

This kind of thing was used by veterans of other wars as well. I recently seen a Spanish-American War one at an antique store and was wondering if this kind of thing is collectable?

Some Civil War veterans commemorated their service by purchasing escutcheons. These came in several styles and this is a monument-style escutcheon on Ebay.

This kind of thing was used by veterans of other wars as well. I recently seen a Spanish-American War one at an antique store and was wondering if this kind of thing is collectable?
Pretty much anything will be collected by someone. I can tell you that, when they've come up at my local auction house, I've bid on them with the thought of making it the basis of a research project, but someone else always bids higher than I'm willing to go.

I think they are very collectible, and value may vary depending on condition and the soldier's service history. Here is a photo of one I recently pictured in a post about Civil War lithographs. Color sergeant who was wounded at 2nd Bull Run and in 4 Confederate prisons. Displaying one is a great way to remember and honor one of these brave boys.

20210217_172249.jpg

I think they are very collectible, and value may vary depending on condition and the soldier's service history. Here is a photo of one I recently pictured in a post about Civil War lithographs. Color sergeant who was wounded at 2nd Bull Run and in 4 Confederate prisons. Displaying one is a great way to remember and honor one of these brave boys.

View attachment 393354

This one is very nice. It is particularly colorful. It also has considerable symbolism. Including his photograph is a nice touch

Back