NY Civil War Treasures of Green-wood Cemetery Brooklyn Photo Tour

I visited Cypress Hills Cemetery in Brooklyn yesterday and will add some photos on the Confederate States of America Cemeteries post. Cypress Hills originally contained 3,400 Union and 356 Confederates who died in New York hospitals during the war, but another 1,822 Union dead were later accepted from Fort Hamilton, Governor's Island, Fort Wadsworth and Mount Hope Cemetery.

I visited Cypress Hills Cemetery in Brooklyn yesterday and will add some photos on the Confederate States of America Cemeteries post. Cypress Hills originally contained 3,400 Union and 356 Confederates who died in New York hospitals during the war, but another 1,822 Union dead were later accepted from Fort Hamilton, Governor's Island, Fort Wadsworth and Mount Hope Cemetery.
Is that Mount Hope Cemetery in Westchester County?

I don't suppose you happened by this gentleman, by the 'Sylvan Water' in Green-Wood?

100_1689.JPG

100_1693.JPG

(Photo credit: Jenny Jenkins)

We know that 2/3s of CW dead died from disease/injuries but you get a better sense of that here than you would at Gettysburg.
Oh, I agree. You do get a better sense of that visiting cemeteries than battlefields. That didn't end when the war ended either. Visited Oakwood Cemetery in Jefferson,Texas a month ago. There are about 15 US Infantry and Cavalry soldiers interred there who died of disease in 1869 during Reconstruction.

Nice thread. This is indeed on old and prestigious resting place. A relevant observation was offered in the late 20th century about it,

"It is the ambition of the New Yorker to live upon the Fifth Avenue, to take his airings in the Park, and to sleep with his fathers in Green-Wood."

Lot's of history there, for sure.

Green-wood Cemetery is a huge urban cemetery on the edge of Park Slope in Brooklyn N.Y. Nearly 500 acres, it was founded in 1838. Although I have passed it by many times when visiting my gf Michele in Park Slope, we only began exploring it this summer. As I make my way through it I will post some of its Civil War treasures.

Last week I was at Green-wood for the 240th Anniversary of the Battle of Brooklyn. The event included a walk up Battle Hill, where British and American forces squared off in 1776. On top of the hill is the New York City 1869 Civil War Monument.
View attachment 109456
Remembering the men who rest in Green-Wood Cemetery this Memorial Day.

Back