Civil War Times Illustrated Vol. 1 No. 1

Cover of Civil War Times Illustrated first issue, saved by my father from 1962 (56 years!)
IMG_20180703_053027.jpg

This is the article that was featured on the cover. It was reprinted in 2011. It holds up 56 years later.

CWITI_Longstreet_1200x480.jpg

Prisoners belonging to General Longstreet's Corps captured by Union troops during the battle of Gettysburg.

By Glenn Tucker
12/6/2011 • Civil War Times Magazine

Longstreet: Culprit or Scapegoat?
Did Lee order Longstreet to attack at dawn on July 2 at Gettysburg? Did Longstreet drag his feet because he disapproved? Was Longstreet’s idea for a defensive battle in Pennsylvania based on good military judgment? Was he justified in arguing for it with Lee? Was a flanking movement to the right feasible? What is Longstreet’s proper rating among Confederate generals?

http://www.historynet.com/longstreet-scapegoat-or-culprit.htm

Thanks a million for sharing, just tonight at my S.C.V. Camp meeting the second issue of Civil War Times was a door prize! I recently was given a stack of those magazines from 81-89, though not as through as a scholarly study of the war, and the info a bit dated, they still provide a good read that serves as an introduction.
Too bad Civil War Times ain't as good as they used to be.

Is Civil
Thanks a million for sharing, just tonight at my S.C.V. Camp meeting the second issue of Civil War Times was a door prize! I recently was given a stack of those magazines from 81-89, though not as through as a scholarly study of the war, and the info a bit dated, they still provide a good read that serves as an introduction.
Too bad Civil War Times ain't as good as they used to be.

Is Civil War Times Illustrated still published?

I had reprints of the newspaper formats; they sold them in Gettysburg gift shops in the early 70s. I started a subscription in 1974 that I let lapse in the late 90s with the dawning of the internet age. Loved that magazine.

I still have my copy, in a binder along with the other nine issues of the first volume (year) 1962-63. At he time, it came out ten times a year with little but relevant Civil War-related advertising (and very little of that) for the princely sum of $10. I subscribed faithfully for decades before occasionally lapsing during the last decade or so. I now have no idea how many issues I have, plus the previous three years when it was at first a tabloid then a smaller magazine called Civil War Times, the name it reverted to several years ago when all magazines, even historical ones, became illustrated.

Back