CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, March 21, 2019

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
1553196526674.png

Although I'm personally not IN this photo (since I took it!), I consider it one of the most important from thirty years ago and the filming of Glory. After spending seemingly-unending boring and discouraging days on the cold and muddy Readville set in downtown Savannah, Georgia we were finally nearing the end of our stay there, but before we left we travelled northwest (?) to the site of the movie Darien to film The Burning. This was done on St Patrick's Day and the day following, both sunny and hot. Above, my furtively-taken photo shows several of the notable persons who headed the production, from left-to-right: Academy Award-winning (as producer for Shakespeare in Love) Director Ed Zwick in the white shirt; in center background Morgan Freeman as Sergeant Major Rawlins; also in white, the late Producer Freddie Fields who died in 2007; and at far right in the checked shirt, Cinematographer Freddie Francis who won one of the three Oscars for Glory. Unfortunately, although the finished scene was interesting and exciting, a typical on-site reaction to the day's work in the welcome but unexpected heat of the spring day can be seen below in a photo by Dale Fetzer:

1553196422430.png

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related vacation or reenacting photos, mementoes, or memorabilia they would like to share is welcome and encouraged to do so in this weekly thread!

This is only 10 or 12 years old , but it has been a long , cold winter and I sure could use a bowl of onion soup from the Dobbin House .

View attachment 298246
The first time I visited the Dobbin House in 1961 it was a tourist attraction containing a diorama of the battle; last time was in 2017 with @mkyzzzrdet in the cellar where we had dinner. (I don't remember if we had the soup though.) I've also dined in Herr Tavern once; the Farnsworth House; and the old and now-defunct Dutch Kitchen on Cemetery Hill.

Is that Steven Spielberg? And what no dinner at the Pink House.

View attachment 298219

Although I'm personally not IN this photo (since I took it!), I consider it one of the most important from thirty years ago and the filming of Glory. After spending seemingly-unending boring and discouraging days on the cold and muddy Readville set in downtown Savannah, Georgia we were finally nearing the end of our stay there, but before we left we travelled northwest (?) to the site of the movie Darien to film The Burning. This was done on St Patrick's Day and the day following, both sunny and hot. Above, my furtively-taken photo shows several of the notable persons who headed the production, from left-to-right: Academy Award-winning (as producer for Shakespeare in Love) Director Ed Zwick in the white shirt; in center background Morgan Freeman as Sergeant Major Rawlins; also in white, the late Producer Freddie Fields who died in 2007; and at far right in the checked shirt, Cinematographer Freddie Francis who won one of the three Oscars for Glory. Unfortunately, although the finished scene was interesting and exciting, a typical on-site reaction to the day's work in the welcome but unexpected heat of the spring day can be seen below in a photo by Dale Fetzer:

View attachment 298217

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related vacation or reenacting photos, mementoes, or memorabilia they would like to share is welcome and encouraged to do so in this weekly thread!
One of my favorite movies. Definitely in my top 25.

Was the first movie I ever remember seeing Morgan Freeman, or Denzel Washington in. I was very impressed with both of them. To this day, if either of them is in a movie, good chance I'll watch it. Great actors.

I remember at the time, thinking..... they couldn't get someone tougher to play Shaw..? Wasn't until many years later, when I saw an actual picture of Shaw, that I realized he was the perfect actor to play him.

View attachment 298219

View attachment 298217

Love it !

Was the first movie I ever remember seeing Morgan Freeman, or Denzel Washington in. I was very impressed with both of them. To this day, if either of them is in a movie, good chance I'll watch it. Great actors.

I remember at the time, thinking..... they couldn't get someone tougher to play Shaw..? Wasn't until many years later, when I saw an actual picture of Shaw, that I realized he was the perfect actor to play him.
I was probably floating around in the background of your avatar. :wink:
A few friends and I toured the "fort" before filming began after Readville. Ran into Denzel Washington and his family upon the past the gun pits before the wall turned right to the tower. Very easy but intense individual. Nice family. Nothing fancy, neat tidy.

Is that Steven Spielberg? And what no dinner at the Pink House.
I had dinner at the Old Pink House at least once on one of my days off while we were still in Savannah - that was one of the best features about filming there, all the wonderful restaurants! The very first night there I went to the Pirate's House and returned later with friends.

There were a lot of similar comments from the reenactors at the time, but having read about Shaw and seen his photo I thought Matthew Broderick was at the time a very good choice. He was also friendly and approachable - on St Patrick's Day he joined a bunch of us for dinner at another of Savannah's local restaurants. (In the photo below, notice the camera crew on the sand dune/hill in the background.)
1553530816833.png

There were a lot of similar comments from the reenactors at the time, but having read about Shaw and seen his photo I thought Matthew Broderick was at the time a very good choice. He was also friendly and approachable - on St Patrick's Day he joined a bunch of us for dinner at another of Savannah's local restaurants. (In the photo below, notice the camera crew on the sand dune/hill in the background.)
View attachment 298948
I remember that day. He sat on a step ladder sometimes...whoa horsey.

Back