CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday/FlashBack Friday 7-13-17

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
scan0003.jpg

For some reason I can't seem to get away from the Gettysburg theme this year! This week's photo was made ten years after last week's Throwback Thursday, at the 135th Anniversary reenactment in July, 1998. Although not a unit member, I tagged along with the Western Frontier Battalion as a member of the staff of Col. Mark Dolive. During battalion drill I was left in our camp as officer of the day - note I'm wearing my sash over-the-shoulder to indicate that - and took advantage of the lull to stroll down the hill and have my likeness taken as seen here. Unlike ten years before, this time I had NO real duties whatsoever, and was for once able to film the event to my heart's content, something I'd always wanted to do; for my photos, please see:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/with-the-frontier-battalion-at-gettysburg-135th-july-1998.100263/

Anyone else having old reenactment, touring, or other Civil War-related photos, please feel free to post them here!

Great pic, much more authentic-looking than most reenactor ones using vintage methods I've seen before. A tintype I assume?

Yes; unfortunately I forget the name of the photographer, but he used all authentic materials; fortunately he was set up at the edge of the authentic camping area beside an artillery unit whose limber made for a nice backdrop. Note also that it's a reversed image - the sash belongs over the right shoulder but I've shifted my haversack to the side opposite where it belongs so it'll appear "correct" for the photo and am cradling my sword on the "wrong" side as well.

IMG_0755.PNG
Your photograph is amazing! That really looks authentic! I've already posted this picture on another one of your threads but post here too.

It was taken at Gettysburg 125 anniversary. For all I know it is farby. I was 17 and wore whatever the guys in my artillery unit approved.

The photographer's name was Kirsch, I think, who, if I recollect, was out of Florida.

... The photographer's name was Kirsch, I think, who, if I recollect, was out of Florida.

I remember him and his what'sit wagon - which you're standing beside in your photo - but don't think I ever took the opportunity to be photographed by him when I had the chance.

Yes; unfortunately I forget the name of the photographer, but he used all authentic materials; fortunately he was set up at the edge of the authentic camping area beside an artillery unit whose limber made for a nice backdrop. Note also that it's a reversed image - the sash belongs over the right shoulder but I've shifted my haversack to the side opposite where it belongs so it'll appear "correct" for the photo and am cradling my sword on the "wrong" side as well.

Could you tell me how much it cost then vs. today to have one taken?

Could you tell me how much it cost then vs. today to have one taken?

Then it was enough to discourage me on all but a couple of occasions like this one, but unfortunately I've forgotten the amount. My most recent experience was five years ago at the 15oth Shiloh but again, I don't remember! That time I was part of a group photo and got a copy that was supposed to have gone to someone else. The photographer here at Gettysburg was making plates of various sizes and only had one large plate left, which I screwed up by MOVING! So this is a smaller quarter- or sixth-plate size and of course the cost was related to the size. Somehow, $20 sounds right, but I'm not sure!

Back