Civil War Talk Throwback Thursday, 9-6-18

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
image-5-jpg.jpg

Forty-one (!) years ago in September, 1977 the reenactment group I belonged to, then known as Douglas' Texas Battery, attended a Labor Day weekend event at Jefferson Barracks County Park, Missouri, near St. Louis. Above, Yours Truly is center in the group in our camp there. Way Back Then school didn't even start until AFTER the Labor Day holiday, so that weekend was always a big one for us. Currently some school systems have come up with the radical and novel idea of waiting until after Labor Day to begin classes because of this year's unseasonable heat in the Northeast - here in Texas it's just more of the same old thing!

For additional photos from this event, please see: https://www.civilwartalk.com/thread...-barracks-missouri-september-3-4-1977.138206/

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related photos, mementos, or memorabilia, please share them with us here in this thread!

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Another nice photo.

It is always hot in early Sept. So really doesn't matter if school starts mid August or after Labor Day. I think it is important to get as many days as possible. Learning is for always and shouldn't be on a time table.

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Another nice photo.

It is always hot in early Sept. So really doesn't matter if school starts mid August or after Labor Day. I think it is important to get as many days as possible. Learning is for always and shouldn't be on a time table.
My point was really that things should've been left alone in the first place - then the reasons for them wouldn't need to be "rediscovered".

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I was just stating that school here and in Ky. start in August. It is hot but I think children need all the time they can get in school. My grandchildren always look forward to start of school. They all enjoy school. We are so proud of our grandson, Ryan he is attending Trinity High School in Louisville and won several scholarships.

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
I was just stating that school here and in Ky. start in August. It is hot but I think children need all the time they can get in school. My grandchildren always look forward to start of school. They all enjoy school. We are so proud of our grandson, Ryan he is attending Trinity High School in Louisville and won several scholarships.
Of course the original idea was that children should be at home during the summer and at least until the first of September in order to help out with farm chores - needless to say that reasoning is no longer relevant for most families! Way back when I went to school in our 1950's Dallas suburb it wasn't true either - however there was NO air conditioning and that certainly was a consideration. (Though oddly enough I have no memories about it, probably because we didn't have AC at home either.) By the 1960's we had gotten window units and I started to our brand-new AIR CONDITIONED high school.
It just seems odd to me and more than a little ridiculous that something that worked so well for so long just had to be changed - and now of course changed back. ( The scheduling, not the air conditioning - I DO endorse that!) It's certainly good that yours actually like school - I always hated it after about junior high school and was sorry to have to go back.