CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 9-29-16

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Image (92).jpg

After a two-week hiatus to attend the September to Remember gathering at Gettysburg, Throwback Thursday's back! This time the subject is what may have been the first "living history" event ever held at Chickamauga - Chattanooga National Military Park, Georgia. (That's me at left center with my hand on a stack of rifles.) This was back in the early 1980's when there were then only four groups of Western authentics, George Derenburger's Union Mudsills, the Tennessee-based Cleburne's Command, the Kentucky-based Breckinridge's Brigade, and the largely Trans-Mississippi Confederate Guard.

Somehow Derenburger had wangled an invitation - which was absolutely necessary - from the NPS to hold a living history encampment over, as I recall, Labor Day weekend at Chickamauga, and he in turn invited the Confederate Guard with which I occasionally served to attend representing a company of the 4th Texas Infantry of Hood's Texas Brigade. The Mudsills had their camp at the Snodgrass Cabin and ours was at the Brotherton House; on Sunday morning we marched together for a color ceremony.

View attachment 111680

After a two-week hiatus to attend the September to Remember gathering at Gettysburg, Throwback Thursday's back! This time the subject is what may have been the first "living history" event ever held at Chickamauga - Chattanooga National Military Park, Georgia. (That's me at left center with my hand on a stack of rifles.) This was back in the early 1980's when there were then only four groups of Western authentics, George Derenburger's Union Mudsills, the Tennessee-based Cleburne's Command, the Kentucky-based Breckinridge's Brigade, and the largely Trans-Mississippi Confederate Guard.

Somehow Derenburger had wangled an invitation - which was absolutely necessary - from the NPS to hold a living history encampment over, as I recall, Labor Day weekend at Chickamauga, and he in turn invited the Confederate Guard with which I occasionally served to attend representing a company of the 4th Texas Infantry of Hood's Texas Brigade. The Mudsills had their camp at the Snodgrass Cabin and ours was at the Brotherton House; on Sunday morning we marched together for a color ceremony.

James,

I was part of the National Battlefield Living History group that went to Chickamauga in the 1978 or 1979 if memory serves me right. I was part of the Kennesaw Mountain Park living history group. We were met there with the groups from Stones River, Shiloh, Chickamauga and maybe another park. We brought our cannon (12lp Napoleon) and we camped out in the open field just south of Snodgrass hill for the weekend. I do know we had a complete battery and fired them all weekend long for the public to see. All in all there were around 30 of us that setup a camp and did a living history presentation for the NBP and mainly Chickamauga Battlefield Park.

Back