CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 9 - 19 - 2019

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Image (24).jpg

Following last week's lapse due to creating my latest historical thread https://civilwartalk.com/threads/stonewall-jackson-at-antietam-september-1862.162451/#post-2129031 this week's Throwback Thursday features one of my favorite photos of myself, taken at an unusual living history/reenactment event held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas in the early 1980's on or around Labor Day weekend. I was acting as a staff officer adjutant for my friend Glen Smith of our unit who was serving as Federal commander of a "garrison" occupying the railroad station located in a picturesque valley or hollow at the edge of town. We had four different companies available and Glen created a schedule to rotate them throughout the event: one "guarded" the station; another rode as guards on the excursion train's short route; a third remained in our camp which was at the end of the two mile line; and the fourth was "off duty" in the neighboring town. The train took tourists from the station to our camp and back and was "attacked" by Missouri and Arkansas guerillas or bushwhackers on the return trip; they placed a log across the tracks and the train had to stop so members of the guard could remove it and drive away the Rebels. The climax of the event came late in the afternoon on Saturday when the guerillas made a mass assault on the depot!

Anyone else having (preferably) old photos, mementoes, or memorabilia from reenactments, living history events, vacations, or other travel is welcome and heartily encouraged to add them to this weekly thread!

I should definitely also give credit for my field desk in the photo, made for me by @1863surgeon Doug Garnett! He based it off photos of an original and it served me for several years, including stints portraying General Grant's adjutant at reenactments at Shiloh and Champion's Hill.

I should definitely also give credit for my field desk in the photo, made for me by @1863surgeon Doug Garnett! He based it off photos of an original and it served me for several years, including stints portraying General Grant's adjutant at reenactments at Shiloh and Champion's Hill.

Thanks James N. for sharing this article and photos. And where is the desk now may I ask?

Old Washington, AR Oct. 2010 015.jpg

Thanks James N. for sharing this article and photos. And where is the desk now may I ask?
About fifteen years ago when Doug began setting up his extensive field hospital I returned it to him. You can see it centered in the rear of the large hospital tent above at a living history event at Old Washington State Park, Arkansas. Unfortunately, his physical condition now prevents him from reenacting at all, so it remains in storage along with everything else.

View attachment 326391

About fifteen years ago when Doug began setting up his extensive field hospital I returned it to him. You can see it centered in the rear of the large hospital tent above at a living history event at Old Washington State Park, Arkansas. Unfortunately, his physical condition now prevents him from reenacting at all, so it remains in storage along with everything else.

Thanks for answering my question.

Back