CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 9-10-2020

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Image (7).jpg

Looking forward to our next CWT Gathering two weeks from now, this time at Shiloh-Corinth National Military Park, Tennessee-Mississippi, for this week's Throwback Thursday I was thinking back to another quick visit there in May of 1973 with my then-girlfriend Charla. I was then living in and teaching near Hot Springs, Arkansas, and was getting positively antsy for a weekend getaway trip; I decided Shiloh, one of my favorite battlefields, was within a day's driving distance. We drove across Arkansas and spent the night in Memphis where we went to a fancy restaurant there called Four Flames located in a large antebellum home or mansion. We spent the next day on the battlefield where Charla was thrilled by the musket firing demonstration by the NPS ranger and is seen here posing at the Confederate Monument above and the so-called War Cabin at the Peach Orchard below. For additional photos from our quick trip please see:

Image (17).jpg

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia from reenactments, living history or other events or vacation or other travel they would like to share with us is welcome and encouraged to post them here in this weekly thread!

Last edited:
I'm glad you reminded me of that cabin's existence with this Throwback Thursday. I guess I'll get to see it for the first time.

Now I'm wondering if the NPS has detailed data sheets or if I need to brick a tape measure. I'd love to have the measurements and detailed photos of that cabin. One never knows when that'll come in handy.

bloody pond.JPG

Your post reminded me of my first visit to Shiloh in 1974.
I snapped this picture of the Bloody Pond over near the Peach Orchard. Both armies had dead and wounded that congregated at this pond to wash their wounds and die. I love that park. This picture created an erie look.
Hope you don't mind me jumping in here with my picture.

View attachment 373301
I snapped this picture of the Bloody Pond over near the Peach Orchard. Both armies had dead and wounded that congregated at this pond to wash their wounds and die. I love that park. This picture created an erie look.
If you'll remember or just look back at the OP you'll see that this is EXACTLY what these Throwback threads are intended for!

Image (5).jpg

View attachment 373301
Although I've posted this several times before, I'll repeat it here since it's from my very first visit to Shiloh or any Civil War battlefield, back in Spring, 1958; this is a Polaroid photo taken by my father showing me standing at the line of Ruggles' batteries. (You probably can't see it, but my very first of many souvenir cannons - which I still have! - is perched atop the barrel of the cannon I have my hand on.)

Last edited:
Back