CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 9-1-16

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Image (6).jpg

Another shot taken by Justice of the Peace Seward after marrying us atop Kennesaw Mountain, Aug. 27, 1968 - the last time I visit this subject, promise! This view isn't as good as the first one, but it shows a little more of Sherman Terrace and the descriptive NPS signage that explained the surrounding topography. (Besides, this way I get to stretch it out to cover another Throwback Thursday, too.) The picture below is a postcard I bought later in the park visitor center; for some reason this sign disappeared in intervening years and last time I visited in 2013 there was nothing there. Following the very brief ceremony, such as it was, we returned Judge Seward to his home but revisited Kennesaw a day or two later to follow the usual park driving tour before heading to Chattanooga's Lookout Mountain.

Image (7).jpg

Thanks for sharing James N. I still can't get over the Yankee box plate around your neck, although it looks like a breast plate to me. Anyway, how did you make it into a necklace? Did you bore a hole into it?

Thanks for sharing James N. I still can't get over the Yankee box plate around your neck, although it looks like a breast plate to me. Anyway, how did you make it into a necklace? Did you bore a hole into it?

dsc01271a-jpg.jpg

Is IS a breast plate, one for a cartridge box sling and not an NCO's baldrick. (The same lead-filled brass plate but with prongs on the back like for a regular belt plate.) This is the very one, seen above on the sling of my original cartridge box; fortunately no mutilation was necessary - I just passed a ribbon through the loops on the back. Note on this original that likely its first owner scratched his initials into the lead backing: J L S.

dsc01272a-jpg.jpg

For more on regulation plates: http://civilwartalk.com/threads/regulation-union-belt-and-cartridge-box-plates.81279/

Attachments

• dsc01271a-jpg.jpg
    dsc01271a-jpg.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 35
  • dsc01272a-jpg.jpg
    dsc01272a-jpg.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 31
Back