CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 8-30-18

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Image (34).jpg

Now that it's time for schools everywhere to begin their fall semesters, this week's Throwback Thursday also revisits a school ca. 1986 or '87 - in this case, a private school in Dallas, Texas, being visited by members of the North Texas Reenactment Society. Naturally our subject was the Civil War, and for the occasion each member wore a different uniform and discussed a different aspect of the conflict. From left to right: Dr. Robert "Bob" Williams, uniformed as a Federal assistant surgeon, talked about medicine; Confederate gunner Ed Owens as he describes artillery; Yours Truly in the uniform of a Confederate lieutenant acted as moderator; Mark Cadigan represented Confederate infantry; Corporal John Gattis, likewise Union infantry; and Federal artilleryman Bruce Frasier rounded out the group. Our unit always saw educating the public as a major part of reenacting, apart from mere powder-burning.

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related photos, memorabilia, or mementoes of reenacting, travel, or related activities is welcome and encouraged to share them with us here in this thread!

Last edited:
Two words sum it up - PRIVATE SCHOOL. You'll never see that again in public schools, I'm afraid. Kids today aren't taught anything about the civil war except that it was about slavery and that the North won because of that. No history, no biographies of leaders, not secondary causes or agendas, no military significance, nothing more than a blip on the public school radar. It's being white-washed (no pun intended) for the sake of political correctness to primarily appease one political persuasion while ignoring actual history. And the same goes for WWII. Ask your typical high school kid when it occurred and they'll stare blankly at you. So very sad! Just watch the first half dozen COLLEGE AGED respondents try to answer the question "Who won the civil war?" (For some reason the video starts at question #2, just back it up to the beginning to see how poorly they answered...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=83&v=yRZZpk_9k8E

Last edited:
Two words sum it up - PRIVATE SCHOOL. You'll never see that again in public schools, I'm afraid. Kids today aren't taught anything about the civil war except that it was about slavery and that the North won because of that. No history, no biographies of leaders, not secondary causes or agendas, no military significance, nothing more than a blip on the public school radar. It's being white-washed (no pun intended) for the sake of political correctness to primarily appease one political persuasion while ignoring actual history. And the same goes for WWII. Ask your typical high school kid when it occurred and they'll stare blankly at you. So very sad!
Truly sad when other nations take so much more pride in their history. Unless someone makes an interesting video game on any subject except the Kardashians or rappers the kids will learn nothing. Eloi nation here we come when we will be waiting for the Morlock one to feed on us! HG Wells got it right for the future.

Great photo James, it's a really rewarding thing to do when the audience is interested. I say interested because - as I'm sure has happened to you - it can be awful when it's a reluctant or pressganged audience!

On that subject, back in 1997, our Society was engaged by the Northern Ireland Tourist Board for a series of displays at the Ulster-American Folk Park in Omagh over the July 4th US Independence week. It was an all-expenses paid tour - travel, food, accommodation, black powder & caps, the works. Boy, did they make us work for it though :D

The 'Troubles' were nothing like they were in the 1970's and 1980's by then, but there were still troops in Guard Towers and Army Patrols in 'hot spots'.

We did twice daily skirmishes at the Folk Park for four days, a road trip to the Republic to do a battle and parade at Dun Laoghaire, a march through Omagh town (right past the shops where the dreadful outrage took place the following year) and a small parade/drill display in Derry (Londonderry) city square. The shows at the Park and in Eire were well attended, but the display at Derry attracted the proverbial one man and his dog. :whistling:

[Note: Derry is very much a Catholic city, though the small towns and villages that surround it are (or were then) very, very Protestant - red, white and blue painted kerbstones and all that. We had several members who were ex-British Army who sensibly declined to do that Derry visit.]

We were introduced to the Mayor and some other bigwigs and then did some drill.

Derry01.jpg

It's amazing how big a small mediaeval square can look when you've only 20 or so folk for a display, especially when half of them are portraying officers or sergeants!

Derry02.jpg

Derry03.jpg

After the display, some local kids were hanging around, so I went and had a chat with them. I just about managed to understand their impenetrable local accent and of course they were intrigued with the rifle and bayonet, so I showed them how to load and fire it (no powder or caps, natch!)

Derry04.jpg

Once they'd relaxed a bit, they fired questions at me non-stop. I thought I'd done a pretty good job explaining the difference between a Federal and a Confederate and what the war was all about. Unfortunately, I happened to say at one point that the Confederates were the Rebels - which really threw a spanner into the works.

[An explanation - since time immemorial, militant Irish Republicans have been known as 'Rebels'.]

Well, at least as portraying a Rebel I was on their side so to speak, but just that one word imparted dreadful confusion amongst the kids and the last question I fielded as we were forming up to go was … and I kid you not ...

'So mister, you're a Rebel, so you are, but are you a Catholic or a Protestant Rebel?' :D

Two words sum it up - PRIVATE SCHOOL. You'll never see that again in public schools, I'm afraid. Kids today aren't taught anything about the civil war except that it was about slavery and that the North won because of that. No history, no biographies of leaders, not secondary causes or agendas, no military significance, nothing more than a blip on the public school radar. It's being white-washed (no pun intended) for the sake of political correctness to primarily appease one political persuasion while ignoring actual history. And the same goes for WWII. Ask your typical high school kid when it occurred and they'll stare blankly at you. So very sad! Just watch the first half dozen COLLEGE AGED respondents try to answer the question "Who won the civil war?" (For some reason the video starts at question #2, just back it up to the beginning to see how poorly they answered...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=83&v=yRZZpk_9k8E

It's no different here Craig. History seems to have been consigned into the same bin that Latin and Greek went donkeys' years ago :thumbsdown:

Well, I must say that my district does a very good job of teaching history, and has AP History courses available in High School. In fact I do a Civil War presentation to our 8th Grade before their Washington Trip. And this is a Public School. Now mind you, I don’t take anything that would be considered a weapon, unless you consider my Command Voice one! Lol! I am always amazed at the attention of the students, even the “rough” classes.

Can’t like this thread enough.

I will be doing a few presentations to local classrooms this fall. I already have two lined up, just need to secure dates... both public, and the response from other teachers has been overwhelmingly positive.

I wouldn’t be so quick to discount people’s desire to learn based on the way the media frames things. Additionally, should a school be hesitant about actually bringing in a firearm, I’ve heard of teachers offering extra credit to students who visit a living history on the weekend. A visit to the classroom followed up with an invite to a LH event the following weekend is going to be option B for the teachers I speak with.

Great thread, I hope more people see this and are motivated to reach out to their local schools.

'So mister, you're a Rebel, so you are, but are you a Catholic or a Protestant Rebel?' :D
:D It's the way they understand the divide. I'll bet their accents were adorable, even if a little hard to understand!

Thoroughly enjoyed what you've shared of your trip and the images posted here. Had no idea such re-enactments were carried out on the shores of Ireland, but it makes sense considering how close the connection between the two countries is.

@Ataxerxes it's so nice to hear that! I happen to know first hand @Mrs. V has an excellent hand made wardrobe for her presentations as I'm sure you do and/or other props! I'll be at Ohio's largest county fair (Canfield) Saturday with mine... wish I could be there all 5 days but I can only be there one day this year because of family obligations. I just love inspiring the student aged kids to learn more! The young ladies love how it's all about women!

Very nice! I wonder if they would even allow you to bring the sword and guns in schools anymore. The anti gun folks would say they are a bad/violent influence on the students.
Has anyone gone into a local school as of lately?
I would wager that they might not let you wear a Confederate UNIFORM in a school today, much less the rifle.

Back