CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 8 - 29 - 2019

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Uncle Colour Sergeant.jpg

After last week's sorrowful memorial for my late friend Glen Hargis, I thought this week should be a little more cheerful! The actual "Throwback" here is another of my easily recognizable friends, Ed Owens, again channeling the British 24th Regiment of Foot (or infantry, to American readers) of the Zulu Wars era. I met Ed when I first joined Good's Texas Battery or the Dallas (Texas) Artillery back in 1976 during the Bicentennial, and we have participated together in many of the past reenactments I've featured here. For a more traditional Civil War-era rendition, the photo of the two of us below with our Enfields, mine an 1865-dated bored-out original and his a new Parker-Hale, was taken about the time our group began to make the shift from farb Confederate artillery to a more authentic Union infantry impression, ca. 1978-80.

Image (19).jpg

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia from reenactments, living history events, vacations, or other travel is welcome and encouraged to share them with us in this weekly thread!

Last edited:
View attachment 323114
After last week's sorrowful memorial for my late friend Glen Hargis, I thought this week should be a little more cheerful! The actual "Throwback" here is another of my easily recognizable friends, Ed Owens, again channeling the British 24th Regiment of Foot (or infantry, to American readers) of the Zulu Wars era. I met Ed when I first joined Good's Texas Battery or the Dallas (Texas) Artillery back in 1976 during the Bicentennial, and we have participated together in many of the past reenactments I've featured here. For a more traditional Civil War-era rendition, the photo of the two of us below with our Enfields, mine an 1865-dated bored-out original and his a new Parker-Hale, was taken about the time our group began to make the shift from farb Confederate artillery to a more authentic Union infantry impression, ca. 1978-80.

View attachment 323115

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia from reenactments, living history events, vacations, or other travel is welcome and encouraged to share them with us in this weekly thread!
You guys looked nice! I especially like the added touch of the bedroll. My son made one up to use at Hale Farm.

Great pic James N., you guys looked pretty good for 1979-80!!!!...…….Finding all "the right stuff" was so easy back then...….

Great pic James N., you guys looked pretty good for 1979-80!!!!...…….Finding all "the right stuff" was so easy back then...….
Not particularly - there was essentially only one reliable supplier of reproduction uniforms, C&D Jarnagin of Corinth, Mississippi. Many other things were harder to come by - my broghans for example were supposedly then-current Brazilian convict shoes, mail-ordered from a classified ad in Camp Chase Gazette! I was carrying an original Enfield because it was actually cheaper than the Parker-Hales, which were the best at the time. My rubber blanket was strictly farb stuff from Dixie Gun Works, not a reliable source at all. My canteen is also a reworked original that had been modified for use in the Spanish-American War. Here's another shot of us from the side:

Image (17).jpg

Last edited:
Not particularly - there was essentially only one reliable supplier of reproduction uniforms, C&D Jarnagin of Corinth, Mississippi. Many other things were harder to come by - my broghans for example were supposedly then-current Brazilian convict shoes, mail-ordered from a classified ad in Camp Chase Gazette! I was carrying an original Enfield because it was actually cheaper than the Parker-Hales, which were the best at the time. My rubber blanket was strictly farb stuff from Dixie Gun Works, not a reliable source at all. My canteen is also a reworked original that had been modified for use in the Spanish-American War. Here's another shot of us from the side:

View attachment 323260
Actually I goofed when typing what I said, it should have read "it wasn't so easy..." etc. etc. Yeah Jarnagin was about the only source back then.........I still have a pair of Jarnagin trousers and a sack coat from about 1982........really lousy stuff compared to what re-enactors can get now days

As promised, here's the Gettysburg mug, complete with morning coffee! I've had this since I was 13 or so. I drink from it rarely so it stays around and in good condition.
View attachment 323261View attachment 323262View attachment 323263View attachment 323264
Personally, I've been alternating between two different large mugs with reproductions of Mort Kunstler prints, The Review at Moss Neck (Lee, Jackson, and Stuart reviewing Stuart's cavalry) and I Will be Moving Within the Hour (conference between Lee, Jackson, Longstreet, and Stuart) ever since I found them a year or so ago at my favorite flea market.

Personally, I've been alternating between two different large mugs with reproductions of Mort Kunstler prints, The Review at Moss Neck (Lee, Jackson, and Stuart reviewing Stuart's cavalry) and I Will be Moving Within the Hour (conference between Lee, Jackson, Longstreet, and Stuart) ever since I found them a year or so ago at my favorite flea market.

Those sound beautiful!!! I have a book containing both of those paintings, as well as Mr. Kunstler's other CW works, that you should check out. All of you should, if you haven't:
6132pPHLRxL.jpg

Not very wordy, the pictures are the prime focus, however there is a small blurb describing what is being depicted in each painting. There are many beautiful ones, he does excellent work. Almost makes you feel as though you are there.

When I was in the "G's and G's" motion picture as a second unit extra, I used the Navy tarp that was issued to my father during WW2. It was the dark brown canvas oil covered heavy stuff. I trimmed it up with a heavy duty utility knife. I had it rolled up and measured exactly how long it needed to be to look like the real deal slung over the shoulder and tied off with some gut string. All the re-enactors kept asking me where I got the waterproof bedroll from cause it looked top notch. I'm sure that same type of fabric had been in existence for years and was common stuff from the SAW and the WW1-2 era.

The 2nd was a Living History I did at the (now) Eastern flank battlefield park near Carnton. Was a former golf course and where the 150th was done at.

It was Glass plate photography … That's my tarp behind us … I hand sewed the holes for the poles and the edges and seems put together .. Not the greatest but I Made it . Most there if not all liked it not a bad word. Im proud of that sucker...

The stack of arms is from the same event ..

That's me in the tree as a sharp shooter Small guy here .. Low branches . I was like why not … Same place different event

home is Pre Civil War was kinda a oops went it sent :smile: But its The Stage Coach Inn - (former Inn ) I think it dates early 1800 maybe before Its about 6 miles from me..

I been told Jessie James stayed there a time our two after the Civil war … and he came to Nashville a few times my understanding as well... Beautiful home Not for tours as it is a private residence …

It was for sale for a while then off the market lot of $$$ no buyer... Wish I had the $ would have took it in a heart beat

Did see the inside photos , nothing fancy rustic modern I would say (40-50ish) I would say … Lot of civil war prints from the current owner

Its on Hwy 70 between Lebanon TN and Hermitage TN or close to it.

Back