CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 8-23-18

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Image (39).jpg

After last week's hijinks, this week's Throwback Thursday returns to its usual decorum with another photo from my memorable August, 1961 Civil War Centennial tour with my mother. Now 57 years ago (!), it was a time far removed from when the heroic statue over the grave of Lt. Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest stood at the center of its eponymous Memphis park, not yet engulfed by what passes for "progress" and the expansion of the medical center. Needless to say, other than the green coating of verdigris deposited by time there were no threats to its very existence and certainly no complaints. In the wake of this week's assault on Silent Sam as well as the uncertain fate of the Forrest statue itself it seemed appropriate to revisit it in my photo even if I'm not personally present, since I took the photo.

edited; modern politics

Anyone else having old Civil War-related photos or mementoes of traveling or reenacting is welcome and encouraged to post them here!

Last edited by a moderator:
A blast from the past then … 1n 1997 we were over for 135th Shiloh (Mudloh.) We toured most of the western battlefields, then on to Atlanta. We visited Kenesaw Mountain and went to Big Shanty (Little Kenesaw) to see the General. We visited a bookshop there … anyone remember it? I think the owner of said er, bookshop qualified as one of the top ten strangest people I've ever met :D

xxx1.jpg

A blast from the past then … 1n 1997 we were over for 135th Shiloh (Mudloh.) We toured most of the western battlefields, then on to Atlanta. We visited Kenesaw Mountain and went to Big Shanty (Little Kenesaw) to see the General. We visited a bookshop there … anyone remember it? I think the owner of said er, bookshop qualified as one of the top ten strangest people I've ever met :D

View attachment 201692
Although I've never darkened his door, this HAS to be Wildman's! I remember seeing his ads forever in old issues of Camp Chase Gazette and other similar magazines from the 1970's and 1980's. I think his greatest problem (other than reputedly seldom bathing) was overindulgence in certain illegal substances. I saw the place just across the street from the current location of the General but somehow resisted any curiosity to visit!

Although I've never darkened his door, this HAS to be Wildman's! I remember seeing his ads forever in old issues of Camp Chase Gazette and other similar magazines from the 1970's and 1980's. I think his greatest problem (other than reputedly seldom bathing) was overindulgence in certain illegal substances. I saw the place just across the street from the current location of the General but somehow resisted any curiosity to visit!
I think you're right. That has to be Wildmans. I bought a few items from him back in the day.

View attachment 201671

After last week's hijinks, this week's Throwback Thursday returns to its usual decorum with another photo from my memorable August, 1961 Civil War Centennial tour with my mother. Now 57 years ago (!), it was a time far removed from our own deluge of Political Correctness when the heroic statue over the grave of Lt. Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest stood at the center of its eponymous Memphis park, not yet engulfed by what passes for "progress" and the expansion of the medical center. Needless to say, other than the green coating of verdigris deposited by time there were no threats to its very existence and certainly no complaints. In the wake of this week's assault on Silent Sam as well as the uncertain fate of the Forrest statue itself it seemed appropriate to revisit it in my photo even if I'm not personally present, since I took the photo.

Anyone else having old Civil War-related photos or mementoes of traveling or reenacting is welcome and encouraged to post them here!
I was in Memphis two weeks ago to see Forrest's grave and monument. Unfortunately I was seven months too late. I was unaware that it had been removed. This is what's left.
38465864_1337805652989310_4003757664243810304_n.jpg

I think you're right. That has to be Wildmans. I bought a few items from him back in the day.

Bang on gentlemen! Dent Myers (the 'Wildman') was the owner. Most peculiar bloke. He wore two revolvers all the time which he ensured me were loaded and ready for use! Bit of a shock for us British tourists, especially when he told us that it was COMPULSORY to carry a pistol in Little Kenesaw. I suspected he was a local bigwig in the KKK as well due to some absolutely unbelievable references to Black folk dotted around the shop. We have racist nutters here as well, but nothing I've ever seen quite as in-your-face as the Wildman and his shop.

Everything in the shop was ridiculously overpriced, but I managed to find a tatty old copy of 'The Struggle for Missouri' which I bought. Could have spent hours in there, but he weirded me out too much and the rest of the lads pretty much hated him and his views … so we made our excuses and left :thumbsdown:

This was outside his shop while we waited for it to open. Edited.

xxx2x.jpg

View attachment 201671

After last week's hijinks, this week's Throwback Thursday returns to its usual decorum with another photo from my memorable August, 1961 Civil War Centennial tour with my mother. Now 57 years ago (!), it was a time far removed from our own deluge of Political Correctness when the heroic statue over the grave of Lt. Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest stood at the center of its eponymous Memphis park, not yet engulfed by what passes for "progress" and the expansion of the medical center. Needless to say, other than the green coating of verdigris deposited by time there were no threats to its very existence and certainly no complaints. In the wake of this week's assault on Silent Sam as well as the uncertain fate of the Forrest statue itself it seemed appropriate to revisit it in my photo even if I'm not personally present, since I took the photo.

Magnificent statue!

I'm very happy I was able to take a picture in front of that statue during his birthday celebration soon before the removed it. It truly is sad as @Belle Montgomery said.

Too bad this Civil Rights leader's words aren't echoed through the nation!...

Bob Woodson, civil rights activist and founder of The Woodson Center, chastised the individuals who tore down a Confederate statue calling them “frauds” during an appearance on “Tucker Carlson Tonight.”
“So you are saying that having the statue up is not a celebration of the confederacy. It’s a way for the rest of us to remember what it was in the triumph over it by the United States?” Tucker asked.

“That’s right. It’s also being just misused by members of the left to really denigrate the values of this nation. That’s what it is. And they are using race, but what it does, Tucker, also is deflect attention away from the more critical issues that we are facing, particularly in black America where we have more blacks killed in one year than were killed in 70 years,” Woodson responded.

VIDEO- Civil Rights Activist Blasts Students for Destroying Statue: 'Does Nothing' for Black 'Lives in Chicago'
Entire interview here and also found on YouTube:
http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/08/...-civil-rights-activist-rip-anarchist-students

Back