CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 7 - 4 - 2019

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Image (22).jpg

Throwback Thursday is a day early because tomorrow/Thursday's the Fourth of July so the library will be closed for the Holiday! These photos date from July 4, 1982 at Dallas' Old City Park's Independence Day festivities. For many years our group The North Texas Reenactment Society enjoyed a close relationship with the park and its superintendent who asked me to do the honors reading aloud the Declaration of Independence to the assembled crowd of spectators. Our group used the park for drills and participated in their sponsored events such as this and Candlelight Christmas. Since our unit portrayed both sides as needed, on Independence Day we were Federals, though at Christmas when we held our annual Cotillion there we usually attended as Confederates. Above, I'm giving the salute at the head of our party; the sergeant at the left (right of the company) is Dr. Richard B. Winders, for the past two decades Curator of the Alamo in San Antonio! Below I'm sharing the speakers' platform with our local U.S. Congressman in the white shirt at right.

Image (20).jpg

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia from reenactments, other events, vacations, travel, etc., etc. is welcome and encouraged to share them with us in this weekly thread!

James, I would have been 11 when you were doing this and I want to say that you would have totally been my hero as a big brother! You put such care into your uniforms and setting and I'm sure it was much appreciated then and is now with throw back Thursday.

James, I would have been 11 when you were doing this and I want to say that you would have totally been my hero as a big brother
I would have been 21 - and I do absolutely second that, although "brother" would not have been the word I would have thought of when seeing you! :laugh:
You looked just great!!! I bet many a lady swooned over you! :rolleyes:

View attachment 314415

Throwback Thursday is a day early because tomorrow/Thursday's the Fourth of July so the library will be closed for the Holiday! These photos date from July 4, 1982 at Dallas' Old City Park's Independence Day festivities. For many years our group The North Texas Reenactment Society enjoyed a close relationship with the park and its superintendent who asked me to do the honors reading aloud the Declaration of Independence to the assembled crowd of spectators. Our group used the park for drills and participated in their sponsored events such as this and Candlelight Christmas. Since our unit portrayed both sides as needed, on Independence Day we were Federals, though at Christmas when we held our annual Cotillion there we usually attended as Confederates. Above, I'm giving the salute at the head of our party; the sergeant at the left (right of the company) is Dr. Richard B. Winders, for the past two decades Curator of the Alamo in San Antonio! Below I'm sharing the speakers' platform with our local U.S. Congressman in the white shirt at right.

View attachment 314416

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia from reenactments, other events, vacations, travel, etc., etc. is welcome and encouraged to share them with us in this weekly thread!

James N. ,

With class and style, as always, James.

Thanks for another great picture and memory.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

Hi James great pictures as always, I’m just wondering who the two men in uniform are (first photo) one saluting the other holding the flag?

Hi James great pictures as always, I’m just wondering who the two men in uniform are (first photo) one saluting the other holding the flag?
At this distance in time I'm not sure but imagine they were probably members of a local National Guard unit or even regular Army (or Air Force?), since there are or were a few bases in the area like Carswell Field in Fort Worth.

Back