CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 5-31-18

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
DSC04498.JPG

Striking a pose at the 145th Anniversary Reenactment of the Battle of Shiloh, April, 2007. This was early Saturday morning after we were wakened in the Union authentic camp in the background by the morning battle that represented the attack on Prentiss's camps. I attended the event along with Doug Garnett (@1863surgeon) and others as the brigade medical staff. I chose this particular subject this week because Sunday i'm flying to Nashville to join @mkyzzzrdet for a visit to Shiloh, Corinth, and wherever else nearby we get to!

Anyone else having old Civil War-related reenactment or vacation photos or other mementoes is encouraged to share them with us here in this thread!

View attachment 190367

Striking a pose at the 145th Anniversary Reenactment of the Battle of Shiloh, April, 2007. This was early Saturday morning after we were wakened in the Union authentic camp in the background by the morning battle that represented the attack on Prentiss's camps. I attended the event along with Doug Garnett (@1863surgeon) and others as the brigade medical staff. I chose this particular subject this week because Sunday i'm flying to Nashville to join @mkyzzzrdet for a visit to Shiloh, Corinth, and wherever else nearby we get to!

Anyone else having old Civil War-related reenactment or vacation photos or other mementoes is encouraged to share them with us here in this thread!
Great pic. What is on the end of that watch chain?

From Left to Right. Top Barry Colbaugh Bottom Joshua, 2nd Left Raymond Gossett, Flag Bearer Robert Crowe, Far Right Gary Alexander. Loctation Gettysburg in Georgia in Gay, Georgia Portraying 9th Battalion Georgia Artillery Company AView attachment 190578
I see another vest chain. Pray tell, what's it attached to, other than the wearer?

View attachment 190367

Amazing photo - thank you for sharing!!!

Great pic. What is on the end of that watch chain?
An 1809 French silver Napoleon Cent Franc or 5 Franc piece a former friend from work who happened to be a coin dealer/collector found for me, now MANY years ago. I put it in a silver dollar frame to make it my fob so I wouldn't have to put a hole through a $65 coin!

An 1809 French silver Napoleon Cent Franc or 5 Franc piece a former friend from work who happened to be a coin dealer/collector found for me, now MANY years ago. I put it in a silver dollar frame to make it my fob so I wouldn't have to put a hole through a $65 coin!
That's a great fob, but is there a watch on the other end?

When I wear a silver watch and chain, my fob is an 1853 "arrows and rays" variety Seated Liberty half dollar. It already had the hole in it when I bought it. I collect coins as well as watches and I would never have made such a hole myself, but these coins were popular watch fobs back in the day, so that hole has probably been there for a very long time. If not for the hole, it would be a reasonably valuable coin. When I wear a gold watch and chain, my fob is a slab of carved onyx in a gold frame that was a birthday gift from my wife many years ago.

That's a great fob, but is there a watch on the other end?

When I wear a silver watch and chain, my fob is an 1853 "arrows and rays" variety Seated Liberty half dollar. It already had the hole in it when I bought it. I collect coins as well as watches and I would never have made such a hole myself, but these coins were popular watch fobs back in the day, so that hole has probably been there for a very long time. When I wear a gold watch and chain, my fob is a slab of carved onyx in a gold frame that was a birthday gift from my wife many years ago.

You bet there is, and I've described it to you before. It's a Swiss made in Locile (sp?) and key wound in a full hunting case. Most interestingly, it has several names scratched inside the covers: W. H. Lamar, who I presume to have been the original owner, and presumably his two heartthrobs, Ettie (or Etta) and Clara Swafford, and another girl whose name I don't now recall. This was stupid, as usual for me; I bought the watch for around $50 at a gun show, then spent probably $300 before I finally got it repaired and in good working order. The hallmarked chain is also very nice, with graduated links and was another $75 at an antique show. I LOST the coin , its mounting, and the key, all on a short length of chain, in a BIG field at a backwoods reenactment in Mississippi, but remarkably was able to locate it again! Ever since, I was much more careful with it, but that didn't stop me from wearing it, as here on the set of Glory:

scan0001-jpg.jpg

You bet there is, and I've described it to you before. It's a Swiss made in Locile (sp?) and key wound in a full hunting case. Most interestingly, it has several names scratched inside the covers: W. H. Lamar, who I presume to have been the original owner, and presumably his two heartthrobs, Ettie (or Etta) and Clara Swafford, and another girl whose name I don't now recall. This was stupid, as usual for me; I bought the watch for around $50 at a gun show, then spent probably $300 before I finally got it repaired and in good working order. The hallmarked chain is also very nice, with graduated links and was another $75 at an antique show. I LOST the coin , its mounting, and the key, all on a short length of chain, in a BIG field at a backwoods reenactment in Mississippi, but remarkably was able to locate it again! Ever since, I was much more careful with it, but that didn't stop me from wearing it, as here on the set of Glory:

scan0001-jpg.jpg
Yes, I seem to recall that watch now. The Swiss watchmaking center referred to is Locle, without the "i."

Wow! The set of "Glory." Very cool!

Last edited:
Back