CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 5-3-18

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Image (22).jpg

This week Throwback Thursday harkens back all the way to 1961 and the Civil War Centennial. This is a folder I've saved all the many years since, showing some of the many novelty items available at the time; I owned many of them, as my check-offs show! I had a copy of the map on my wall at home, framed for me by my talented Uncle John; the set of flags (which now sit atop a DVD tower) was a 1964 purchase from Richmond's old Confederate Museum before it became politically incorrect; but my favorite was always the Louis Marx Civil War playset, The Battle of the Blue and the Gray, which I also still have stored away, even though termites ate the box!

Anyone else having old Civil War-related mementoes or photographs is encouraged to share them with us in this week's thread!

View attachment 186792

This week Throwback Thursday harkens back all the way to 1961 and the Civil War Centennial. This is a folder I've saved all the many years since, showing some of the many novelty items available at the time; I owned many of them, as my check-offs show! I had a copy of the map on my wall at home, framed for me by my talented Uncle John; the set of flags (which now sit atop a DVD tower) was a 1964 purchase from Richmond's old Confederate Museum before it became politically incorrect; but my favorite was always the Louis Marx Civil War playset, The Battle of the Blue and the Gray, which I also still have stored away, even though termites ate the box!

Anyone else having old Civil War-related mementoes or photographs is encouraged to share them with us in this week's thread!
I hope you played with your set!

View attachment 186792

The term "Hillbilly" should now be politically incorrect like the flags. Just search Google Images for the words Hillbilly cartoon ! Now that's a throwback term that still exists today because it only offends and stereotypes Southerners including my Virginia born and raised mother-in-law. LOL

Back