CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 5-17-18

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
20180410_123100 crop.jpg

Since nobody seems to be following this semi-weekly thread anymore, this is a TEST: This week's Throwback Thursday goes all the way back to - LAST MONTH! This was taken by @1863surgeon using his cell phone camera while I was busy photographing details of the statuary on the Virginia State Memorial on Seminary Ridge at Gettysburg. I hadn't bothered to post it earlier because it was taken at such a distance and required a LOT of cropping to make a presentable image. (Like taking out the entire big blue tour BUS that was on the left side opposite those cannon behind me.) Fortunately his cell phone camera takes such good photos this could be done with surprisingly little loss of detail or resolution - wish my camera did as well!

Anyone having old (or NEW!) Civil War-related photos or mementos is encouraged to post them here too!

I think the problem is I never know what time of day this will be posted. I only promote threads to the home page when I’m at the pc. Lately I haven’t been feeling well and I do my website work between 10am and 12pm.

I’m sure there would be more interest if I were promoting the thread, but it’s often posted once I’m done for the day :/

Sometimes I see them on Friday’s and put them up, but only if I see the thread.

I think the problem is I never know what time of day this will be posted. I only promote threads to the home page when I’m at the pc. Lately I haven’t been feeling well and I do my website work between 10am and 12pm.

I’m sure there would be more interest if I were promoting the thread, but it’s often posted once I’m done for the day :/

Sometimes I see them on Friday’s and put them up, but only if I see the thread.
Ami, I'm not criticizing you - there just hasn't been much response or participation lately whether it's on the homepage or not. By "test" I meant to see if there was any this time either, or if anybody noticed this isn't exactly a "proper" Throwback (old) subject! Last time, I posted what I thought was a nifty flyer from ca. 1960 or '61 and the Centennial, and - NOTHING.

Ami, I'm not criticizing you - there just hasn't been much response or participation lately whether it's on the homepage or not. By "test" I meant to see if there was any this time either, or if anybody noticed this isn't exactly a "proper" Throwback (old) subject! Last time, I posted what I thought was a nifty flyer from ca. 1960 or '61 and the Centennial, and - NOTHING.
I enjoy your throwbacks, must have missed last week's. I've been meaning to try and get some old pictures I have from my first tour in reenacting in the 80s into my computer somehow. Can't get my scan function on my printer to work right, not very good at these things. Will get to it one of these days.

I check them all the time. I mark like and usually make a comment. Maybe people just don't notice sometimes.

That happens a lot on here. I see threads that are excellent and many never look or comment.

Keep them coming as some of us enjoy them and appreciate all your threads on CWT.

I enjoy your throwbacks, must have missed last week's. I've been meaning to try and get some old pictures I have from my first tour in reenacting in the 80s into my computer somehow. Can't get my scan function on my printer to work right, not very good at these things. Will get to it one of these days.

This brings up another related problem: Although I have a large collection of photos and related material from both the Centennial and the past four decades of reenacting, even I'm beginning to run low and think it would be nice to see other people's photos, etc. too!

I stand corrected - it was now two weeks ago, and there were three replies; thanks to @donna @Belle Montgomery and @Mrs. V !

This brings up another related problem: Although I have a large collection of photos and related material from both the Centennial and the past four decades of reenacting, even I'm beginning to run low and think it would be nice to see other people's photos, etc. too!
I'll work on it this weekend even if I have to take pictures of pictures and post them that way.

I'm another Throwback fan! I just don't have much to contribute unfortunately. I have my reenactment event photo threads, but those don't really qualify.

I'm another Throwback fan! I just don't have much to contribute unfortunately. I have my reenactment event photo threads, but those don't really qualify.
I NEVER let duplication (or triplicatation, quadruplication, etc., etc.) of photos stand in the way of a post! (As most members here by now are fully aware.)

I NEVER let duplication (or triplicatation, quadruplication, etc., etc.) of photos stand in the way of a post! (As most members here by now are fully aware.)
So what I'm hearing is...you may want to see that photo of me stalking Grant at an event many years ago. Again. :D (It'll be new for some people here at least.)

So what I'm hearing is...you may want to see that photo of me stalking Grant at an event many years ago. Again. :D (It'll be new for some people here at least.)
No different than me in this photo, which I hope people will remember from several previous posts, including, I believe Throwback Thursday itself, taken at the 125th Shiloh event along with Corp. John Gattis and Marty Brazil as Grant:

0_0_ChampHill_000a.jpg

And you guys thought I only bothered General Lee.

Civil War 004web.JPG

I forgot what year this was. All these incidents run together in my mind as one long period of shenanigans. Grant was hiding from me at this point but I eventually hunted him down later.

View attachment 188450
Since nobody seems to be following this semi-weekly thread anymore, this is a TEST: This week's Throwback Thursday goes all the way back to - LAST MONTH! This was taken by @1863surgeon using his cell phone camera while I was busy photographing details of the statuary on the Virginia State Memorial on Seminary Ridge at Gettysburg. I hadn't bothered to post it earlier because it was taken at such a distance and required a LOT of cropping to make a presentable image. (Like taking out the entire big blue tour BUS that was on the left side opposite those cannon behind me.) Fortunately his cell phone camera takes such good photos this could be done with surprisingly little loss of detail or resolution - wish my camera did as well!

Anyone having old (or NEW!) Civil War-related photos or mementos is encouraged to post them here too!
James, I look forward to reading your Throwbacks every week. Unfortunately I don’t have any vintage photos to add.

Back