CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 5-16-2019

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Image (18).jpg

Since today is the anniversary of the Battle of Champion's Hill, Mississippi, part of Ulysses S. Grant's Vicksburg Campaign, for this week's Throwback Thursday I was thinking back to an annual reenactment that was held for several years on the extreme southern portion of the actual battlefield; these photos show me and my friend Roy Beckett talking outside "Union headquarters" in our camp sometime in May, 1983. I was acting as aide-de-camp to my friend Marty Brazil @Marty US Grant at this time but Roy was visiting from the Confederate camp to talk artillery; I had recently traveled to New Braunfels, Texas, to help him train his crew for his then-mountain howitzer (upgraded later to a full-scale six-pounder) and later worked with him on North and South, Part II and Alamo - The Price of Freedom. For more about this event. please see the new thread: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/champions-hill-mississippi-may-1983.158132/#post-2056727

Image (19).jpg

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related reenactment, vacation, or travel photos, mementoes, or memorabilia and would like to share them with us is welcome and encouraged to do so in this weekly thread!

Last edited:
That's the only one I could get my wife at the time to go to as she spent the day at the Cactus Plantation

Back