CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 4 - 4 - 2019

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
surgeons-3 200.jpg

Since the rest of this week will be a little irregular, I thought I'd get a jump on Throwback Thursday this week and post it a day early - I hope @ami doesn't get too confused this time! This weekend marks the anniversary of one of my favorite (to read about, write about, and reenact) battles, Shiloh or Pittsburg Landing, Tennessee. The ruby-glass ambrotypes here are from the Sesquicentennial event held there in April, 2012; the group above includes, standing from left-to-right Assistant Surgeon Chad Gordon and Surgeon Doug Garnett (@1863surgeon) and seated, Surgeon Jack Thomason and Assistant Surgeon James N. Below, the same members of the Confederate Medical Staff minus Jack Thomason.

surgeons-1 200.jpg

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related photos of reenactments, travel, or what have you is welcome and encouraged to share them with us!

Last edited:
James I am heading to Baton Rouge for the CWRT Symposium so of you are heading toward Shiloh we may pass by along the way.
Regards
David

I've known James "(Don't call me Jim)" since we were 14, but never had a chance to see him in those whiskers, except in pics. Doesn't he look like Longstreet after the war, in a Gettysburg reunion pic.? Reincarnation perhaps? Wasn't Old Pete obnoxious and stubborn sometimes? It would fit. (har-har) You hear that, James?

Great photo from the man who where many different colored hats.

Back