CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 4-25-19

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
scan0001.jpg

This last full week in April Throwback Thursday marks the end or wrap of principal shooting for Glory, now exactly thirty years ago; April 27, 1989 was the final day at the site south of Atlanta where we filmed the Battle of Antietam sequence. At left above is a production assistant or PA and next in line, Yours Truly in my Federal staff officer's uniform, which I'm also wearing below. In the background is the wonderful reproduction of the Dunker Church that was built for the production but only seen from the inside as the field hospital where Shaw has his wound dressed.

scan0013.jpg

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related vacation, travel, reenacting, or other photos, mementoes, or memorabilia and would like to share them with us is welcome and encouraged to do so in this semi-weekly thread. (Sorry- last week I forgot!)

scan0017.jpg

That is awesome! I really like the Dunker reproduction. Is it just a facade? Looks so real.
As I recall, it was built out of plywood and covered over with sheets of plastic molded to resemble bricks or blocks of stone. One (unused) scene they filmed to use as an establishing shot was a reconstruction of an Edward Forbes drawing from Battles & Leaders showing the Dunker Church as a field hospital surrounded by the soldiers and wounded of both sides mingling freely during a truce.

scan0018.jpg

Here are some more photos I took of it when filming was over:

scan0019.jpg

scan0020.jpg

scan0021.jpg

Great "throwbacks" to Glory as always. Heck I'm working with one production right now that should start filming in a few months, the funny part of it, I've helped the writer some with the screenplay and so forth, hopefully to help improve it. He's a good fella and appreciated it, and now he's encouraging me to write one myself, and offered backing if this film goes over well.

I was even told it could be a CW movie if I wished...

Keep it up James! These threads on Glory are inspiring.

Probably - that's pretty standard "Hollywood" fare, as on this faux "brownstone" I've posted before that was built and used to mask the Savannah River in the parade scene:

View attachment 304336

What's amazing to me is how real they can make it look, not jus to for the camera but from a distance the set design folks can be quite ingenious when they set their minds to it.

Thanks for the photos.
I still think this is the most realistic and well shot Civil War battle scene captured on film. By far more realistic than anything in Gettysburg, although there are parts of G&G that come close.

By the by, what unit was Shaw in and what part of the battle of Antietam did they partake in and is this scene supposed to represent?

Thanks for the photos.
I still think this is the most realistic and well shot Civil War battle scene captured on film. By far more realistic than anything in Gettysburg, although there are parts of G&G that come close.

By the by, what unit was Shaw in and what part of the battle of Antietam did they partake in and is this scene supposed to represent?
Shaw was captain of Co.H 2nd Massachusetts at Antietam, they were in action in the morning around the Cornfield.

Similar to the Chancellor House in G's and G's, nothing but a façade/profile. The Dunkers' meeting house looks great from Glory, too bad it hit the cutting room floor. Like the Cornfield did in the original release of G's and G's.

… By the by, what unit was Shaw in and what part of the battle of Antietam did they partake in and is this scene supposed to represent?
Shaw was captain of Co.H 2nd Massachusetts at Antietam, they were in action in the morning around the Cornfield.
It was in the later morning, because they were part of Mansfield's Twelfth Corps (formerly Banks') and entered the battle en echelon after Hooker's First Corps (formerly McDowell's) had been engaged on the extreme northern part of the field since before dawn. Mansfield was mortally wounded very early on and his two divisions thereafter fought separately with little or no supervision from above, mainly in the area south of the Cornfield and nearer the Dunker Church, like in the film.

Similar to the Chancellor House in G's and G's, nothing but a façade/profile. The Dunkers' meeting house looks great from Glory, too bad it hit the cutting room floor. Like the Cornfield did in the original release of G's and G's.
I also remember a similar "McLean House" from North & South, Part II but unfortunately (?) I didn't get any photos of it.

Back