CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 3-7-19

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
scan0022.jpg

This week Throwback Thursday returns to March, 1989 when on the 6th filming on Glory began at our worst possible location, the old and abandoned Savannah, Ga. railyards near downtown that were used to represent the Readville, Mass. camp of the 54th. Above, along with artillery coordinator for the film, reenactor Steve Lillard seated at right, we wait for the incessant rain to stop so filming can be resumed. (Early March in the South is Spring, so a LOT of this ensued at this unhealthy and dismal mudhole.) This marked the beginning of two weeks spent here, following several much happier days off during which I traveled to Charleston with friends on Mar. 3 and again by myself to Forts Sumter and Moultrie on the 5th. Below, Sumter as seen from the NPS ferry, the only way to get there:

Ft Sumter.jpg

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia of vacation trips, reenactments, etc. is welcome and encouraged to share them with us in this weekly thread!

Last edited:
Manassas 1962 with my sister . Family vacation . Where it all began.

View attachment 295675
I have some similar taken there by my father on a vacation around the same time, but unfortunately they were made as those now-useless SLIDES - I can't even salvage them for use here in Throwback Thursday!

I have some similar taken there by my father on a vacation around the same time, but unfortunately they were made as those now-useless SLIDES - I can't even salvage them for use here in Throwback Thursday!
The odd thing is this is the only color image I can find of Manassas. All others are black and white . I know my father used a 35mm camera and always had the pictures developed as slides because he said you can have prints made off the slides if you wanted . I think that may be true in this case .
There has to be a way to have old slides transferred digitally .

Back