CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 3-28-2019

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Image (19).jpg

Thirty years ago today, March 28, 1989, I first set foot on the beach at Jekyll Island, Georgia where the Glory production company began filming scenes for the assault on Battery Wagner. It was filmed sequentially and chronologically, beginning with marching onto the beach below between cheering ranks of white reenactors, proceeding over the next two and a half weeks through charging across the beach (above), taking cover in the sand dunes, scaling the face of the scarp, fighting hand-to-hand into Battery Wagner, and finally the denouement. Yours Truly is in both of these scenes, but naturally hard-to-find in the sea of bodies; I know where I am below but will not attempt to point out the dot in the background. Above is somewhat easier in this cropped scan of a HUGE double-page spread: I'm just below the white State of Massachusetts flag at right center. These are recent scans from a Glory "commemorative album" I've featured in a separate thread: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/stills-from-a-glory-commemorative-album.156242/

Image (18).jpg

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related reenacting, vacation, or other photos, mementoes, or memorabilia to share is welcome and encouraged to do so in this weekly thread!

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related reenacting, vacation, or other photos, mementoes, or memorabilia to share is welcome and encouraged to do so in this weekly thread!
Program from the 135th Gettysburg reenactment.
3rd - 5th of July 1998

Went there as a spectator with my grandfather.
Part of a 3 week trip visiting acw battlefields and museums... with a roadtrip of 5500km or something like it.

Got some photos from the event somewhere. (but recently moved, so not sure exactly where they are)

IMG_2489.JPG

3rd - 5th of July 1998

Part of a 3 week trip visiting acw battlefields and museums... with a roadtrip of 5500km or something like it.

Got some photos from the event somewhere. (but recently moved, so not sure exactly where they are)

View attachment 299500

I was there as a Confederate soldier in the 17th Mississippi Infantry Regiment in Picket's Charge!

Totally awesome event!

3rd - 5th of July 1998

View attachment 299500
I hope you can find them - they would make a nice compliment to my thread on the subject: https://www.civilwartalk.com/thread...ttalion-at-gettysburg-135th-july-1998.100263/

It's hard for me to decide still to this day, what I've enjoyed most about the ACW. Researching/studying it and my ancestors that took part in it, visiting battlefields/cemeteries, shooting live competition fire as team member of an N-SSA regt. (casting your own lead ammo and working BP loads), being part of large scale CW battle re-enactments, or taking part as a second unit extra in both of Ted Turner's movies and being able to experience the "Hollywood" deal for days at a time. Maybe it's "all of the above."
I bet being part of "Glory" was really neat. Bumping heads with famous people is always cool and surprising that they're for the most part, regular folks like the rest of us....

Last edited:
View attachment 299487

Thirty years ago today, March 28, 1989, I first set foot on the beach at Jekyll Island, Georgia where the Glory production company began filming scenes for the assault on Battery Wagner. It was filmed sequentially and chronologically, beginning with marching onto the beach below between cheering ranks of white reenactors, proceeding over the next two and a half weeks through charging across the beach (above), taking cover in the sand dunes, scaling the face of the scarp, fighting hand-to-hand into Battery Wagner, and finally the denouement. Yours Truly is in both of these scenes, but naturally hard-to-find in the sea of bodies; I know where I am below but will not attempt to point out the dot in the background. Above is somewhat easier in this cropped scan of a HUGE double-page spread: I'm just below the white State of Massachusetts flag at right center. These are recent scans from a Glory "commemorative album" I've featured in a separate thread: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/stills-from-a-glory-commemorative-album.156242/

View attachment 299486

Excellent post as usual, you met Morgan Freeman whom I think is an absolute legend. You must have had an epic time. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Back