CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 3-2-17

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Expired Image Removed

Not a photo from my past this time, but a scanned artifact I still own from 1958! This Dell comic was based on the then-popular syndicated TV series The Gray Ghost starring B-movie actor Tod Andrews as Maj. John Singleton Mosby which had a lot to do with increasing my interest in the Civil War. I've fairly recently watched a few of the thirty-odd episodes which are overall representative of 1950's westerns where each one is a mini morality play. The end credits claim that Virgil Carrington Jones, author of the book Gray Ghosts and Rebel Raiders, served as historical consultant; maybe so, but the series is full of mistakes of all kinds, both historical and technical ones concerning weapons, props, and typical "Hollywood" costumes. Beards are a great problem too: most don't have them and the few historical characters that do (Jeb Stuart for example) remind me of the saying of a friend about someone looking as if he had a raccoon taped to his face! Among the supporting cast I've noticed then-beginning actress Angie Dickinson and Austrian immigrant John Banner (later Sgt. Schulz from Hogan's Heroes fame) as Maj. Heros Von Borcke of Stuart's staff. Of course in retrospect the most remarkable thing about the entire series is the fact that a Confederate officer is unmistakably and unapologetically the hero of the piece!

Last edited:
Not a photo from my past this time, but a scanned artifact I still own from 1958! This Dell comic was based on the then-popular syndicated TV series The Gray Ghost starring B-movie actor Tod Andrews as Maj. John Singleton Mosby which had a lot to do with increasing my interest in the Civil War. I've fairly recently watched a few of the thirty-odd episodes which are overall representative of 1950's westerns where each one is a mini morality play. The end credits claim that Virgil Carrington Jones, author of the book Gray Ghosts and Rebel Raiders, served as historical consultant; maybe so, but the series is full of mistakes of all kinds, both historical and technical concerning weapons, props, and typical "Hollywood" costumes. Beards are a great problem too: most don't have them and the few historical characters that do (Jeb Stuart for example) remind me of the saying of a friend about someone looking as if he had a raccoon taped to his face! Among the supporting cast I've noticed then-beginning actress Angie Dickinson and Austrian immigrant John Banner (later Sgt. Schulz from Hogan's Heroes) as Maj. Heros Von Borcke of Stuart's staff. Of course in retrospect the most remarkable thing about the entire series is the fact that a Confederate is unmistakably and unapologetically the hero of the piece!

My dad mentioned this show to me, he loved it growing up as well. I caught a few episodes on YouTube about a year ago. While I'm not well versed in weapons and uniforms, I did realize the fake-ness of the production. Very Bonanza meets the Civil War. But it was entertaining if you ignored those historical issues. It's cool that you still have the comic book. Is it good read or on the corny side?

Expired Image Removed

I've recently featured illustrations from the comic itself in another thread, but here's an example. Each issue (and there were at least two) featured two stories adapted from episodes in the TV series. This book contained one that was illustrated by notable Civil War and military uniform expert George Woodbridge, later a Revolutionary War reenactor himself during the Bicentennial. His attention to detail was remarkable, far superior to anything that appeared in the TV show, which can be seen here in his details of hairstyles and the lockplate of the rifle at bottom right.

Last edited:
Where did you find the episodes for the series? I would love to watch them myself.

A friend @1863surgeon ordered them online, but what he received is barely watchable due to the atrocious quality of the DVD's which have merely been copied from VHS tapes that themselves were pirated from TV airings. At least one episode contained an overlay showing the station call letters! The sound was especially poor and almost unintelligible in parts and the black-and-white film very grainy and muddy; not recommended at all!

My dad mentioned this show to me, he loved it growing up as well. I caught a few episodes on YouTube about a year ago. While I'm not well versed in weapons and uniforms, I did realize the fake-ness of the production. Very Bonanza meets the Civil War. But it was entertaining if you ignored those historical issues. It's cool that you still have the comic book. Is it good read or on the corny side?

Since it's aimed at a juvenile audience it's pretty bad - you may be able to get an idea from the above.

This book had two, one illustrated by notable Civil War and military uniform expert George Woodbridge, later a Revolutionary War reenactor himself during the Bicentennial. His attention to detail was remarkable, far superior to anything that appeared in the TV show, which can be seen here in his details of hairstyles and the lockplate of the rifle at bottom right.

Wow, very impressive detailing on the rifle for a comic. Thanks for sharing the cover and a snippet from inside! :thumbsup:

GICombat5.jpg

I didn't know they were still making it, but guess so! I had them in the early 70's.

George Woodbridge was a friend of mine, and a mentor when I was a new reenactor. It was an honor to hear him hold forth. He brought a lot of historical detail to his cartoon work. The uniforms and equipment in the page you posted are really pretty good.

Enjoyed this thread. "The Gray Ghost" does not ring a bell, but the early Sgt Rock editions were a favorite. When we had to make a book report, mine was on one of the classics of literature. The comic book rack at the local corner drugstore supplied my source. The old Classics Illustrated comic books were a much easier and quicker read. Although I eventually read the entire novel, in 1959 I made a B+ on my report of Robinson Crusoe from the comic book.

Back