CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 2-7-19

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
1549573173424.png

Still in anticipation of this year's upcoming CWT Gathering at Vicksburg, this week's Throwback Thursday offers another view from a Champion's Hill, Mississippi reenactment sometime in the 1980's depicting Maj. Gen. U. S. Grant's headquarters. In addition to Marty Brazil (@Marty US Grant) seated at right who provided the photo, Yours Truly is seated at left and Ed Owens is standing at far left.

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related reenacting, travel, or other photos, mementoes, or memorabilia is welcome and encouraged to share them in this weekly thread!

View attachment 273801

Still in anticipation of this year's upcoming CWT Gathering at Vicksburg, this week's Throwback Thursday offers another view from a Champion's Hill, Mississippi reenactment sometime in the 1980's depicting Maj. Gen. U. S. Grant's headquarters. In addition to Marty Brazil (@Marty US Grant) seated at right who provided the photo, Yours Truly is seated at left and Ed Owens is standing at far left.

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related reenacting, travel, or other photos, mementoes, or memorabilia is welcome and encouraged to share them in this weekly thread!
I remember that weekend very well. I was there as a spectator.
We had to walk almost two miles to the site, after dealing with back roads traffic jams.

I took many photos from one of those old disposable Kodak 'cardboard cameras'.

The images were pretty good for a few months, until the photos faded to nothing.

:bounce:

20 years ago I traveled from NY to FL to take part in the Battle of Olustee reenactment (Feb. 12-14, 1999). I had an ancestor who fought with the 115th NY there and narrowly escaped death when, as related by a fellow soldier, his bedroll stopped a bullet. The 115th NY unit from FL welcomed me into their ranks and presented me with a dog tag with my ancestors name after a solemn ceremony at the Union mass grave marker. I remember it getting so cold one night all I could think about as I shivered was the headlines in the papers the next day when they found me would be "Yankee freezes to death in Florida." I remember it was a nice reenactment with a few thousand troops and some pyrotechnics to boot. As usual the reenactors treated me like family and were a great bunch. The experience was well worth it and I'd do it again if it weren't for the lengthy trip. I'll throw up a few more images next Thursday as well...

Olustee 1.jpg
Olustee 1.3.jpg
Olustee 1.2.jpg
Olustee 1.1.jpg

20 years ago I traveled from NY to FL to take part in the Battle of Olustee reenactment (Feb. 12-14, 1999). I had an ancestor who fought with the 115th NY there and narrowly escaped death when, as related by a fellow soldier, his bedroll stopped a bullet. The 115th NY unit from FL welcomed me into their ranks and presented me with a dog tag with my ancestors name after a solemn ceremony at the Union mass grave marker. I remember it getting so cold one night all I could think about as I shivered was the headlines in the papers the next day when they found me would be "Yankee freezes to death in Florida." I remember it was a nice reenactment with a few thousand troops and some pyrotechnics to boot. As usual the reenactors treated me like family and were a great bunch. The experience was well worth it and I'd do it again if it weren't for the lengthy trip. I'll throw up a few more images next Thursday as well...

View attachment 273844View attachment 273845View attachment 273846View attachment 273847
Thanks for the photos - Olustee is one of the very few Civil War battlefields I've never been to! One question, however: which one is YOU?

Thanks for the photos - Olustee is one of the very few Civil War battlefields I've never been to! One question, however: which one is YOU?

Olustee does not get the attention it deserves due to the smaller scale of the combatants involved and it's location outside the most popular theater of war. Hence it is still a State Park. It was however, for the number of combatants engaged, one of the statistically bloodiest battles of the war, especially for Union forces, many of the captured Union soldiers later died in Andersonville.

I'm the one kneeling with the bedroll (of course just like my ancestor) the 17 year old with a poor attempt at facial hair.

Back