Civil War Talk Throwback Thursday, 2-21-19

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
He's still in character in that pic. I love his final scene in the movie where he watches them go past in the parade march. He knows they're ready and what they are marching off to do.
Interesting you should mention that particular scene because I don't think he was even THERE! That was filmed on the Saturday ending the week at Rose Dhu Island featured here, but John didn't actually arrive until a week or more later when we were instead filming on the Readville set. I remember that well because the morning he arrived at the production office for the very first time Joe and I met him and we three went to nearby Morrison's Cafeteria for lunch where we bent his ear with stories of the filming so far. I think his scene in the parade was likely one of the "insert" shots I've described elsewhere.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

bdtex

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018
Interesting you should mention that particular scene because I don't think he was even THERE! That was filmed on the Saturday ending the week at Rose Dhu Island featured here, but John didn't actually arrive until a week or more later when we were instead filming on the Readville set. I remember that well because the morning he arrived at the production office for the very first time Joe and I met him and we three went to nearby Morrison's Cafeteria for lunch where we bent his ear with stories of the filming so far. I think his scene in the parade was likely one of the "insert" shots I've described elsewhere.
Maybe his one little part was filmed at a diiferent time but his final appearance in the movie was in the parade scene.

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
I had no idea that you were a movie star. I will have to watch more closely.
You can keep your original impression - I've been fortunate to have worked on a couple of major productions and several minor ones for TV, etc. but that was a LONG time ago and doesn't qualify me for that exalted position!

I actually seem to remember that we usually rode in rented school buses or ones built along the same lines! That was from the downtown Savannah wardrobe warehouse where we met with our "soldiers" to wherever the day's shooting location was scheduled to be. Since it wasn't far from our lodging in the Howard Johnson Motel Joe Covais and I usually walked in our reenacting Union officer uniforms over to the warehouse district.
This is a very nice little insight. It's better than any "behind the scenes" feature on any DVD. Appreciate you playing along and for posting the image/story.

Kyle Kalasnik

Private
None taken, Kyle; thank you for your enthusiasm! As for Mohicans, although interesting and something I'm overall glad I worked on, it was scarcely as personally fulfilling as Glory. Of course a large part of that was undoubtedly because of having been left, as they say, on the cutting room floor! In case you missed the link to my account of working on it on a Mohicans fansite where I fully vent my disappointment: http://www.mohicanpress.com/jim_neels_mohicanland.html Below is a screen capture of one of the only TWO scenes where I appear - though I was in MANY more - at far right well-hidden in shadows inside Gen. Montcalm's tent during a scene between the late Patrice Chreau as Montcalm and Wes Studi as Magua:

View attachment 293640
Yes I remember that scene quite well. I’ll have to keep an eye out the next time I watch the movie.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!