Civil War Talk Throwback Thursday, 2-14-19

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
scan0020.jpg

Exactly thirty (!) years ago this week principal photography began for Glory in Savannah, Georgia, subject for this week's Throwback Thursday. These photos were made on Wednesday, February 15, 1989, in a Savannah suburb known as the Isle of Hope on an unseasonably hot day, the very first for our Background Company and others. (Filming had actually begun earlier in the week in downtown Savannah involving three of the principals and a crowd of mainly civilian extras, but this was the first for us.) Above, Yours Truly posing in front of one of the lovely old houses on a street chosen to represent Beaufort, S. C.; below my friend, compatriot, and fellow officer of the 54th Joseph Covais walking beside the drummers. For more about this incident, please see: https://www.civilwartalk.com/threads/twenty-five-years-ago-my-brush-with-glory.95319/post-807017

scan0021.jpg

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia of travel, reenactments, etc. is welcome and encouraged to share them with us here in this weekly thread!

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Waterloo50

Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
View attachment 292215

Exactly thirty (!) years ago this week principal photography began for Glory in Savannah, Georgia, subject for this week's Throwback Thursday. These photos were made on Wednesday, February 15, 1989, in a Savannah suburb known as the Isle of Hope on an unseasonably hot day, the very first for our Background Company and others. (Filming had actually begun earlier in the week in downtown Savannah involving three of the principals and a crowd of mainly civilian extras, but this was the first for us.) Above, Yours Truly posing in front of one of the lovely old houses on a street chosen to represent Beaufort, S. C.; below my friend, compatriot, and fellow officer of the 54th Joseph Covais walking beside the drummers. For more about this incident, please see: https://www.civilwartalk.com/threads/twenty-five-years-ago-my-brush-with-glory.95319/post-807017

View attachment 292216

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia of travel, reenactments, etc. is welcome and encouraged to share them with us here in this weekly thread!
A quick question about the weather conditions, I recall that you said at one point during filming it had been snowing but the film crew had managed to clear the area of snow, I guess that meant that it was cold enough to see the actors breath when they exhaled, how did they get around that or did they just ignore it?

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
@James N. Were those real mutton chop whiskers or did make-up apply them?
I've told the story in my thread, but by the last day of filming I'd shaved off my very real Burnsides, so to match my earlier appearance make-up had to cut down the salt-and-pepper beard worn by actor Raymond St. Jacques as Frederick Douglass for me to wear! Fortunately, despite their good work, I don't show up at all in the filming done on the last day.

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
A quick question about the weather conditions, I recall that you said at one point during filming it had been snowing but the film crew had managed to clear the area of snow, I guess that meant that it was cold enough to see the actors breath when they exhaled, how did they get around that or did they just ignore it?
More on that uncomfortable incident next week, but if you'll watch that particular sequence you can clearly see the actors' breaths, not only there but also during the "camp meeting" scene preceding the attack on Battery Wagner. And that was supposedly in July in South Carolina!

Waterloo50

Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
More on that uncomfortable incident next week, but if you'll watch that particular sequence you can clearly see the actors' breaths, not only there but also during the "camp meeting" scene preceding the attack on Battery Wagner. And that was supposedly in July in South Carolina!
Thanks James, I’m looking forward to reading the next instalment.