CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 2-1-18

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
1st Manassas Program Cover.jpg

This time, neither a person nor persons nor a place, but a souvenir from a very important Civil War Centennial event, indeed! I have previously mentioned the June-July, 1961 trip made by my mother and myself to Gettysburg and then the reenactment of, as the program itself states, 1st Manassas (Bull Run). These were the "official" and expensive (probably $1) magazine-sized 64 page booklets in stiff glossy covers containing almost no advertising but full of articles by some of the premier Civil War authors of the time, as listed on the back cover; subjects included stories like Manassas - Little Town With the Big Name; Second Manassas (The Old Pros Gang Up); Wilmer McLean: He Would Study War No More; and Twilight, Victory, and Peace. I was all of fourteen when we went, too young to then participate, but memories of the spectacle stayed with me over the years until fifteen years later during the American Revolution Bicentennial I was able to begin reenacting myself! For additional full-page color photos used as illustrations in the program: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/ar...dr-francis-lord-and-william-a-albaugh.142752/

Anyone else having old Civil War-related photos or mementos you would like to share are encouraged to do so here!

I own the 1st Manassas program as well as two tickets for reenactment. It is in nearly mint condition. I picked it up at a Flea Market in Springfield, Ill. of all places. I have it packed away in the house somewhere.
I thought maybe you'd also attended the event - the day was beastly HOT with temperature at or over 100 degrees and NO shade anywhere, especially not for those of us in the stadium or bleacher seats!

View attachment 175435

This time, neither a person nor persons nor a place, but a souvenir from a very important Civil War Centennial event, indeed! I have previously mentioned the June-July, 1961 trip made by my mother and myself to Gettysburg and then the reenactment of, as the program itself states, 1st Manassas (Bull Run). These were the "official" and expensive (probably $1) magazine-sized 64 page booklets in stiff glossy covers containing almost no advertising but full of articles by some of the premier Civil War authors of the time, as listed on the back cover; subjects included stories like Manassas - Little Town With the Big Name; Second Manassas (The Old Pros Gang Up); Wilmer McLean: He Would Study War No More; and Twilight, Victory, and Peace. I was all of fourteen when we went, too young to then participate, but memories of the spectacle stayed with me over the years until fifteen years later during the American Revolution Bicentennial I was able to begin reenacting myself! For additional full-page color photos used as illustrations in the program: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/ar...dr-francis-lord-and-william-a-albaugh.142752/

Anyone else having old Civil War-related photos or mementos you would like to share are encouraged to do so here!
Nice. Good to Francis Lord's name there. When I was a kid, his They Fought for the Union was my handbook to the organization of Union armies.

Me and my family went to it. I still remember the battle to this day despite being only 4 years old. It was god awful hot and my dad was angry about the parking. A little over half way through, I got sick from drinking too much soda in the heat and threw up all over the in the grass. So my dad packed us up and we left early. My older brother was infuriated that we had to go. Years later I met a re-enactor that was part of our 2nd unit group filming "G's and G's." He was carrying the same original Springfield he used when he was a participant in the 1961 re-enactment. Ironic that the 150th re-enactment here was just as hot if not hotter.

Me and my family went to it. I still remember the battle to this day despite being only 4 years old. It was god awful hot and my dad was angry about the parking. A little over half way through, I got sick from drinking too much soda in the heat and threw up all over the in the grass. So my dad packed us up and we left early. My older brother was infuriated that we had to go. Years later I met a re-enactor that was part of our 2nd unit group filming "G's and G's." He was carrying the same original Springfield he used when he was a participant in the 1961 re-enactment. Ironic that the 150th re-enactment here was just as hot if not hotter.
Funny story.
As I read it, I wondered about the people who came out to watch the battle in 1861. Was there a youngster who had the same experience that you describe? Did his dad pack him up and leave early?

James, this Throwback Thursday forum is a great idea. Today was the first time I had seen it. Not sure if my contribution is what you are looking for or if it is supposed to be added to this thread, but you can delete or move if needed.

In 1959, my Mom, sister, and I drove to Kentucky to visit my grandmother. Mom was kind enough and patient enough to stop by and let me spend several hours at Vicksburg National Park. After going to the park museum, we drove the park tour per the map below. She stopped at every monument and plaque to let me out to read them and take pictures. Looking back, it was another one of those times when we failed to appreciate what our parents would do for us. My Mom and little sister never protested or tried to rush me on my first big battlefield adventure. Our '59 Rambler did not have A/C and it was hot. Well, maybe my sister whined some, but that's what little sisters do.

This is the NPS Vicksburg book I purchased for 25 cents. It was 60 pages and included pictures, maps, and information about the numbered tour stops.

Vicksburg National Park Book_Cover.jpg

Vicksburg National Park Book_Title Pg.jpg

If you compare the 1957 tour map to a modern tour map, a number of differences will be found. All are improvements and additions made by the NPS over the years.

Vicksburg National Park Book_Tour Map.jpg

This page is added to show the Cairo which has been recovered from the bottom of the Yazoo River, preserved, and can be seen on display today. In 1959, all we had was the picture.

Vicksburg National Park Book_Pg 49.jpg

The old Park headquarters and museum.

Vicksburg National Park Book_Pg 55.jpg

The surrender site

Vicksburg National Park Book_Pg 48.jpg

Back cover of book

Vicksburg National Park Book_Bk Cover.jpg

For those who have visited Vicksburg National Park in the past few years, you notice a lot of changes have been made to preserve and upgrade the site since 1959.

..and parking was horrible for for the 150th.

One of my cherished mementos is this copy of "Great Battles of the Civil War" (Life, 1961) that I purchased as a kid for $1.50 on my first visit to Gettysburg. I spent hours pondering the amazing paintings in the book.

Cover page
Cover.jpg

Title page

Title page.jpg

Death of Ellsworth

Ellsworth.jpg

First Bull Run

First Bull Run.jpg

Shiloh

Shiloh.jpg

Antietam

Antietam.jpg

Fredericksburg

Fredericksburg.jpg

Chancellorsville

Chancellorsville.jpg

Vicksburg

Vicksburg.jpg

Brandy Station

Brandy Station.jpg

Gettysburg
Gettysburg 2.jpg

Missionary Ridge

Missionary Ridge.jpg

The Crater

The Crater.jpg

New Market

New Market.jpg

Albemarle Sound

Albemarle.jpg

Appomattox

Appomattox.jpg

This is a fun thread.

I had completely forgotten about the souvenir program. Seeing the cover of it brought back a flood of memories. I remember the heat and I remember that all the motels were full and we spent the night in a funeral home ... complete with my dad saying the next morning that he slept like the dead and my mom rolling her eyes.

James, this Throwback Thursday forum is a great idea. Today was the first time I had seen it. Not sure if my contribution is what you are looking for or if it is supposed to be added to this thread, but you can delete or move if needed...

This is the NPS Vicksburg book I purchased for 25 cents. It was 60 pages and included pictures, maps, and information about the numbered tour stops.

If you compare the 1957 tour map to a modern tour map, a number of differences will be found. All are improvements and additions made by the NPS over the years... For those who have visited Vicksburg National Park in the past few years, you notice a lot of changes have been made to preserve and upgrade the site since 1959.

One of my cherished mementos is this copy of "Great Battles of the Civil War" (Life, 1961) that I purchased as a kid for $1.50 on my first visit to Gettysburg. I spent hours pondering the amazing paintings in the book.

J. D., you can look back at some of the other Throwback Thursday threads - they have their own sub-forum in Ami's Contest Forum: https://civilwartalk.com/forums/throwback-thursday.189/ - and see that although the original idea was for a weekly opportunity for everyone to show off their old photos and mementos, unfortunately most threads consist of only my old photos! Everyone is welcome and encouraged to add to the existing threads as they appear. I too have both the NPS Vicksburg guidebook (and many others as well) and the Time-Life Centennial book. Originally, the illustrations (other than the sketches of the commanders) appeared in 6 different 1961 Centennial issues of LIFE Magazine including a few that didn't make the cut into the Great Battles... book. It's very true that the road system in Vicksburg seems continually to be changing and has been the subject of much discussion here in threads in the Vicksburg Forum.

I have 3 of the 6 LIFE magazines of the '61 Centennial issues. They are so cool to read through, especially the advertisements. One issue (I forget which one) has the Mercury astronauts on the front cover.

Speaking of Throwbacks, I am searching around for my old "Battle Cry" game from third grade, loved the tiny cannons and arranging the battlefields......

I have 3 of the 6 LIFE magazines of the '61 Centennial issues. They are so cool to read through, especially the advertisements. One issue (I forget which one) has the Mercury astronauts on the front cover.

Possibly unfortunately, I was accumulating so much JUNK that I cut the articles out of the magazines and threw the rest away! I also did that with series How the West Was Won (that inspired the Cinerama movie of the same title; World War I (in 1964 for the Semi-centennial); Ancient Greece; the single issue on the Sesquicentennial of Waterloo; and probably others as well.

Speaking of Throwbacks, I am searching around for my old "Battle Cry" game from third grade, loved the tiny cannons and arranging the battlefields......
That was one I never owned but played several times. My old friend from jr. high and high school Mike (@mkyzzzrdet ) and I always got new games for Christmas and other occasions and of the Milton Bradley ones I had Broadside (War of 1812 naval) and Dogfight (WWI aviation) and he had Battle Cry.

Back