CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 12-27-18

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
20180410_111142.jpg

As the old year comes to an end it's always a time for reflection, and so the final Throwback Thursday for 2018 only goes back as far as this April during my whirlwind tour of Civil War battlefields with my old friend Doug @1863surgeon and his son Bradley. Above, Bradley photographed me at Gettysburg's Oak Hill standing beside one of the British-manufactured Whitworth rifled guns which boasted a range of four miles and fired on Union positions from here. For more on my travels this year, please see: https://www.civilwartalk.com/threads/2018-my-year-of-civil-war-travels.152903/#post-1953021

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia you would like to share is welcome and heartily encouraged to do so in this thread!

Hardaway's Alabama Battery, about my favorite site on the battlefield.

Gotta love those Whitworths. One reenactment unit down around the Texas coast have one built out of a North Vietnamese AA gun barrel, and strangely to some its actually a decent copy, except for the rifling. They've never let me get beyond the powder monkey stage on manning it though.

Nice photo with the hills in the background. There used to be some videos on Youtube of Whitworth's firing a live round at junk autos and it was pretty neat, but recently when I searched for them they were gone. Or at least I couldnt find them. But if I remember correctly you could hear the whistle of the shell which may have explained the Yankees mistaking a Whitworth for "Whistling Dick" at Vicksburg.

Back