CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 12-19-2019

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Image (15).jpg

One feature of reenacting and the Holidays I miss this time of year was our annual North Texas Reenactment Society's Christmas Cotillion, usually held at Dallas' Old City Park, often in a large ca. 1857 Texas farmhouse (not really a Southern "mansion") called Millermore I pictured this time last year https://civilwartalk.com/threads/civil-war-talk-throwback-thursday-12-6-18.152299/. These two photos are from the 1980's: above, in 1981 with friends from the Union Rifles who had traveled all the way from Wichita Falls for the occasion, Sgt. Jim Lackey at left and First Sgt. Lewis Iselin at right. Below, from 1986 with Ed Owens seen over my right shoulder.

Image (33).jpg

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia from reenactments, other events, vacations, or other travel is welcome and encouraged to post them here in this (hopefully) weekly thread!

Last edited:
Confederate States Army First Lieutenant uniform ?

Thanks James N. for more great throwback photos.
Crafted for me by my friend, historical tailor, conservator, and costumer extraordinaire, the late Robert Justice, from a ca. 1960's Columbia Military Academy greatcoat I'd purchased cheap at a local gun show or flea market! Its thick wool blend material was SO heavy and hot I only wore it occasionally, usually at "formal" events like this and preferably in the Winter. At the time the photo was taken, the North Texas Reenactment Society was known for various impressions from both Union and Confederate artillery and infantry to Western and civilian.

Back