CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 12-14-17

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Goodman House Museum 006.jpg

Share your old photos!!!

This time for the holidays Throwback Thursday only goes back a decade or less to visit the Goodman House Museum's annual Christmas Candlelight Thursday night open house in downtown Tyler, Texas. I'm standing at right with my fellow reenactor and forum member Doug Garnett (@1863surgeon ) in the hallway. During the Civil War the house served as a boarding house and was lived in for a time by noted Louisiana Confederate diarist and refugee Kate Stone and her widowed mother and her siblings. After the war it was purchased and greatly enlarged by Major Dr. John Goodman who had been a Confederate surgeon and hospital administrator in Texas. The Goodman House was built in various stages ca. 1860's-1920's and when the last remaining Goodman family member died in the 1930's it was willed to the City of Tyler for use as a museum, containing all its original furnishings from a century of habitation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great photo, as usual, James N. ! Thanks for sharing! The two of you look just great and from what we can see, the house must be beautiful, too! If I could make a wish, I would love to inherit such a beautiful old house, complete with all furniture and all things inside, and then dig through all these treasures. Sometimes I have a recurrent dream where I walk through such an old house full of history and I know it has its secrets and I will reveal some of them ... always makes me wake up regretting it was just a dream ...

(@chellers , have you seen this thread?)

View attachment 170310

Share your old photos!!!

This time for the holidays Throwback Thursday only goes back a decade or less to visit the Goodman House Museum's annual Christmas Candlelight Thursday night open house in downtown Tyler, Texas. I'm standing at right with my fellow reenactor and forum member Doug Garnett (@1863surgeon ) in the hallway. During the Civil War the house served as a boarding house and was lived in for a time by noted Louisiana Confederate diarist and refugee Kate Stone and her widowed mother and her siblings. After the war it was purchased and greatly enlarged by Major Dr. John Goodman who had been a Confederate surgeon and hospital administrator in Texas. The Goodman House was built in various stages ca. 1860's-1920's and when the last remaining Goodman family member died in the 1930's it was willed to the City of Tyler for use as a museum, containing all its original furnishings from a century of habitation.
VERY cool!!! Quite the dapper duo I must say!

The Weeden House, in Huntsville, Alabama, was built in 1819. Dr. William Weeden bought the house in 1845. Earlier residents included John McKinley who lived in the house from 1824-1827, prior to serving as an Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. The Weeden family lived in the house from 1845-1956, except for during the Federal occupation of Huntsville during the Civil War when the home served as the living quarters of Federal officers. Photo: Book contract signing day, Author Gladys Hodge Sherrer of Trapped in the Crossfire: A Civil War Saga of the Endurance of Family, held in the historic Weeden House, with Publisher Steve Gierhart, Alabama State House of Representatives for District 6, Phil Williams and Mike Ball.
Weeden House with Author Gladys Sherrer.JPG

Last edited:
Goodman House.jpg

Great photo, as usual, James N. ! Thanks for sharing! The two of you look just great and from what we can see, the house must be beautiful, too! If I could make a wish, I would love to inherit such a beautiful old house, complete with all furniture and all things inside, and then dig through all these treasures. Sometimes I have a recurrent dream where I walk through such an old house full of history and I know it has its secrets and I will reveal some of them ... always makes me wake up regretting it was just a dream ...

Andrea, here are a couple of additional photos, one above of the grounds, and the one below taken in the ground-floor room that served as Dr. Goodman's office. I'm posing amid a display Doug and I set up of our medical and military items.

Goodman House Museum, May 19, 2012 003AL.jpg

As usual, a great throwback pic.

James N. that's a fancy CSA 1st Lieutenant's uniform.

Looks good ! :thumbsup:
Thanks; the coat was tailored for me by an old friend I've mentioned before, the late Robert Justice, who could fix or fabricate most anything from reproduction sword scabbards to giant teddy bears for upscale mall Christmas decorations. It was fashioned from a cadet greatcoat from some military school or academy (not West Point) for reenacting purposes back in the 1980's, and like most things from that period of my life I've now completely outgrown it!

View attachment 170310

Share your old photos!!!

gawd the one on the left is fat.

Back