CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 11-30-17

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Image (6)crop.jpg

Since today's the 153rd anniversary of the Battle of Franklin, Tennessee, here's another photo taken at the 140th anniversary reenactment back in 2004. Yours Truly is standing in the center wearing a straw hat with Doug Garnett (@1863surgeon ) at far left; between the two of us are other members of our "ambulance corps" for Granbury's Brigade. For additional photos of this event held at Spring Hill, Tennessee in early October of that year in a thread I created this time last year: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/with-granburys-brigade-at-franklin-nashville-oct-1-3-2004.129153/

Anyone else having old Civil War-related photos is encouraged to post them here too!

I see by your apron ,you had the day off:wink:

Actually, at the end of the reenactment the wagon was used to carry off the field the bodies of several of the "dead" Confederates, including General Granbury and it was my duty to examine and pronounce him deceased!

Thanks for posting. By any chance were ever at one of the Raymond re-enactments portraying the ambulance corps - maybe back in ‘99 or ‘02?

Beautiful team! But how did you keep your apron so clean? And whatever was being used for "blood" on the apron of the guy next to you really shouldn't have shown up as pink! :bounce:

Thanks for posting. By any chance were ever at one of the Raymond re-enactments portraying the ambulance corps - maybe back in ‘99 or ‘02?

Not us - Doug didn't get involved until 2000 or so and I was out of it between 1997 and this, which was my first since the 135th Gettysburg. I used to be a regular attendee at the annual Champion's Hill reenactments back in the 1980's but have never been to one at Raymond.

Beautiful team! But how did you keep your apron so clean? And whatever was being used for "blood" on the apron of the guy next to you really shouldn't have shown up as pink! :bounce:

My apron was just a new one; Doug used some concoction of "stage blood" he learned to make from his school days in college theater classes, but I don't know its composition.

Back