Civil War Talk Throwback Thursday, 11-22-2018

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Image (4)A.jpg

I hope I will be forgiven that this week's Throwback entry is neither Civil War-related - despite the appearance of the Confederate battleflag at center - nor posted on Thursday! These are two photos I discovered more recently depicting an event of a very personal nature my mind often turns to this time of year, the visit of President John F. Kennedy to Dallas' Love Field on the fateful November 22, 1963. (For purists, right in the middle of the Civil War Centennial.) They've been scanned from the 2014 book Five Days in November by former Secret Serviceman Clint Hill and show members of the crowd that had gathered to greet the presidential party that morning at the airport. Hill's book supplements other things I have from the assassination and it's only fairly recently that I got my own copy from which I could scan and add these.

In the photo above I've circled our group in red: I'm standing at the right with my head turned to my left looking back at the van form one of our local TV stations WFAA, while my friend Mike Puckett is to my right and our girlfriend Kathy Hoskins is unfortunately almost completely covered by his shoulder. The photo below shows our section of the crowd from the back - we were in the rear of this shot somewhere between the two flags. For my full account of this singular event during my high school years, please see the following: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/dallas-love-field-november-22-1963.92113/#post-753598

Image (10).jpg

I've posted this today since the library will be closed the next four days for the Holidays, so I will be incommunicado until Monday - Happy Thanksgiving!

Anyone else having old (preferably) Civil War-related travel, reenacting, or other photos, mementoes, or memorabilia is welcome and encouraged to post them in this thread!

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

BlueandGrayl

First Sergeant
View attachment 211622

I hope I will be forgiven that this week's Throwback entry is neither Civil War-related - despite the appearance of the Confederate battleflag at center - nor posted on Thursday! These are two photos I discovered more recently depicting an event of a very personal nature my mind often turns to this time of year, the visit of President John F. Kennedy to Dallas' Love Field on the fateful November 22, 1963. (For purists, right in the middle of the Civil War Centennial.) They've been scanned from the 2014 book Five Days in November by former Secret Serviceman Clint Hill and show members of the crowd that had gathered to greet the presidential party that morning at the airport. Hill's book supplements other things I have from the assassination and it's only fairly recently that I got my own copy from which I could scan and add these.

In the photo above I've circled our group in red: I'm standing at the right with my head turned to my left looking back at the van form one of our local TV stations WFAA, while my friend Mike Puckett is to my right and our girlfriend Kathy Hoskins is unfortunately almost completely covered by his shoulder. The photo below shows our section of the crowd from the back - we were in the rear of this shot somewhere between the two flags. For my full account of this singular event during my high school years, please see the following: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/dallas-love-field-november-22-1963.92113/#post-753598

View attachment 211621
I've posted this today since the library will be closed the next four days for the Holidays, so I will be incommunicado until Monday - Happy Thanksgiving!

Anyone else having old (preferably) Civil War-related travel, reenacting, or other photos, mementoes, or memorabilia is welcome and encouraged to post them in this thread!
Well to an extant it is actually Civil War-related since it was during the Centennial Anniversary (1961-1965) and the aforementioned Confederate battle flag was flown.