Civil War Talk Throwback Thursday, 11-15-18

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Image (24).jpg

This week's Throwback was inspired by the posts on the thread Chickamauga After-Action Reports dealing with our "instruction" in artillery drill at Snodgrass Hill; I was reminded that I have a good bit of experience in that regard. Above is one such occasion, sometime in the 1980's, when I had traveled to New Braunfels, Texas, to work with a friend named Roy Beckett, an anesthesiologist who had his own mountain howitzer and a green crew. New Braunfels annually features a Wurstfest or similar festival celebrating its Germanic heritage with lots of appropriately German food and beer. Here I'm acting as instructor/gunner while Roy, at center wearing an artillery shell jacket and black hat, is in the position of No. 4 and other members of his crew work the other positions. Roy later "graduated" to owning a full-scale six-pounder gun and worked with me on the TV miniseries North and South, Part II and IMAX movie Alamo - The Price of Freedom.

For more on artillery drill, please see: https://www.civilwartalk.com/threads/how-to-fire-a-civil-war-cannon.129546/

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-Related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia to share is welcome and encouraged to do so in this thread!

Last edited: