Civil War Talk Throwback Thursday, 11-15-18

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Image (24).jpg

This week's Throwback was inspired by the posts on the thread Chickamauga After-Action Reports dealing with our "instruction" in artillery drill at Snodgrass Hill; I was reminded that I have a good bit of experience in that regard. Above is one such occasion, sometime in the 1980's, when I had traveled to New Braunfels, Texas, to work with a friend named Roy Beckett, an anesthesiologist who had his own mountain howitzer and a green crew. New Braunfels annually features a Wurstfest or similar festival celebrating its Germanic heritage with lots of appropriately German food and beer. Here I'm acting as instructor/gunner while Roy, at center wearing an artillery shell jacket and black hat, is in the position of No. 4 and other members of his crew work the other positions. Roy later "graduated" to owning a full-scale six-pounder gun and worked with me on the TV miniseries North and South, Part II and IMAX movie Alamo - The Price of Freedom.

For more on artillery drill, please see: https://www.civilwartalk.com/threads/how-to-fire-a-civil-war-cannon.129546/

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-Related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia to share is welcome and encouraged to do so in this thread!

Last edited:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)